On this page
In response to the latest health advice and risks associated with COVID-19, Service NSW has postponed driver testing across NSW for a minimum period of 2 months. This change comes into effect immediately.
This applies to all practical driver assessments conducted by Service NSW.
It does not apply to assessments conducted via the Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment Program or any other assessment provider outside of Service NSW.
If you believe you have an urgent need for your driving test to be conducted you can apply for a priority request.
Requests will be assessed on a case-by-case basis, and you’ll have to demonstrate that:
- you need, or need to retain, a heavy vehicle licence to support the freight network and supply chain – a letter from your employer confirming this would be required
- not having a licence would significantly impact your ability to access essential services such as:
- a doctor where there is a pre-existing condition – supported by a letter from your medical practitioner
- existing employment/offer of employment would be affected – supported by a letter from your current or prospective employer.
A priority test may also be made available if a medical practitioner or police have notified Transport for NSW that a test is required to determine if you should continue to hold a driving licence.
To apply for a priority request please call us on 13 22 13.
Note: A request stating the licence is needed for more independence will not generally be considered sufficient for a priority request. Only apply if you can demonstrate a significant impact to your quality of life or employment.
Aged driving assessments conducted by Service NSW, will be deferred for a minimum period of 3 months. If you were due to have a test your licence status will be maintained.
To ensure your licence is not cancelled or suspended:
- If you already have a test booked at a Service NSW Service Centre, you'll be contacted to discuss the options that are available. The options will ensure that your licence will remain active.
- If you're required to undertake a test in the next 3 month period, and have not made a booking, please contact TfNSW on 6604 9301 2 weeks prior to the due date of your test.
Holders of a current overseas licence who have become permanent residents, will now have an additional 3 months to convert to a NSW licence, making 6 months in total.
Driver testing for overseas licence holders has now ceased until further notice.