A conveyancer licence allows you to do legal work in relation to property transactions such as a sale or lease of land, or the granting of a mortgage.
If you want to apply for an individual conveyancer licence, you can do so online.
To be eligible, you need to:
- be aged 18 years or over
- be a fit and proper person to hold a licence
- meet the criteria regarding qualifications and experience
- not be a 'disqualified person' under the Conveyancers Licensing Act 2003, including:
- an Australian solicitor or barrister with a current practising certificate, or
- someone licensed under the Property and Stock Agents Act 2002
- meet the mandatory insurance requirements
- have paid the relevant contribution to the Property Services Compensation Fund.
What you need
- a MyServiceNSW Account - you can create one when you start your application
- your proof of identity
- copies of your qualifications in PDF or JPG format
- details of your previous conveyancing work experience
- the name and contact details of a referee regarding your work experience. You must seek their consent before providing their details to us.
- completed copies of the following forms, if applicable, in PDF or JPG format:
- your contact details
- if you intend to trade under a business name, a copy of your Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) business name certificate in PDF or JPG format
- a current credit card for payment.
Proof of identity
Two proof of identity documents are required. They may include:
- Australian driver licence
- Medicare card
- Australian passport (accepted up to 3 years after expiry)
- Australian birth certificate
- Australian travel visa
- Australian citizenship certificate
- Australian certificate of registration by descent
- Health Care Card
- Pensioner Concession Card
- Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
- Veteran Gold Card
- Veteran Pensioner Concession Card
- Veteran Seniors Health Card.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Gather your supporting documents.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
- Follow the prompts to apply for a conveyancer licence.
If you're unable to apply online:
- Download, print and complete the Application for an Individual Conveyancer's Licence – PDF.
- Make sure you have the required supporting documentation, and then visit a service centre to submit your application.
- Licensed conveyancers must be covered by an approved policy of professional indemnity insurance when they work. A licensee can take out their own insurance policy, or they may be covered by their employer’s policy.
- A person must not conduct a conveyancing business for fee or reward unless the person is the holder of a conveyancer's licence. (This does not apply to a person who is a solicitor or a barrister with a current practising certificate, or someone who conducts their conveyancing work in an incorporated legal practice, if that conveyancing work is overseen a barrister or solicitor.)
- To make an application to have an interstate or New Zealand conveyancer licence recognised in NSW, visit Apply for mutual recognition of an interstate or New Zealand conveyancer licence.
A list of payment options is available on our payment methods page.