The Family Energy Rebate helps NSW family households with dependent children cover the costs of their energy bills.
If you receive your bill directly from your energy retailer and you meet the eligibility requirements, you can apply for the Family Energy Rebate online.
Note: Applications for the 2019/20 Family Energy Rebate will close at 11pm on Thursday 18 June 2020.
To be eligible for the NSW Family Energy Rebate in a given financial year, you must:
- be a NSW resident
- be the account holder of an energy retailer
- have been the recipient of the Family Tax Benefit (FTB) for the previous financial year and have had your entitlement to the FTB payments finalised by Centrelink.
- ensure the person in your household who's registered as the FTB recipient, lodges the application. The recipient is the person who receives correspondence on FTB from the Department of Human Services (DHS).
If you receive your energy bill from a strata manager or community/village operator, visit Apply for the Family Energy Rebate (on supply customers).
What you need
Before you apply you'll need to have:
- lodged your tax return for the last financial year with the Australian Taxation Office. If you or your partner didn't need to lodge a tax return, notify the DHS of this. They cannot finalise your FTB until they have this information.
- received a confirmation letter from DHS that your FTB has been finalised for the last financial year.
When you've done both these things, you're ready to apply for a rebate. You'll also need:
- your DHS Customer Reference Number (CRN)
- your Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) number (if applicable)
- your personal and contact details
- a copy of your recent energy bill.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Complete and submit your application.
If you don't wish to apply online:
- Download and complete the Family Energy Rebate Application Form 2019-2020 – PDF.
- Attach a copy of your most recent energy bill.
- Lodge your application by post or email to the details on the form.
- If your energy retailer is not listed in the 'Please select' menu on the online form, you'll need to complete the paper application form. This can be downloaded from the online form.
- The Family Energy Rebate gives eligible energy account holders a credit on an energy bill of up to $180.