The Family Energy Rebate helps NSW family households with dependent children cover the costs of their energy bills.

If you live in an on-supplied residential community, retirement village or strata scheme, you can apply for the rebate online.

On supply' means you receive your energy bill or invoice from the strata manager or community/village operator.

Note: Applications for the 2018/19 Family Energy Rebate are now closed. You can apply for the 2019/20 Family Energy Rebate from late July 2019.

What you'll need

Before you apply you'll need to:

  • lodge your tax return for the last financial year with the Australian Taxation Office. If you or your partner don't need to lodge a tax return, then request a letter confirming this from the Department of Human Services (DHS).
  • receive confirmation from DHS that you were eligible for the Family Tax Benefit (FTB) for the last financial year.

When you've done both these things, you're ready to apply for a rebate. You'll also need:

  • your DHS Customer Reference Number (CRN)
  • your Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) number (if applicable)
  • your personal and contact details
  • a copy of your recent energy bill.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  3. Log in to, or sign up for, a MyServiceNSW Account.
  4. Select the 'Services' tab on your dashboard.
  5. Link to 'NSW Energy Rebates'.
  6. Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
  7. Select 'Next'.
  8. Enter the required details.
  9. Upload your invoice/bill.
  10. Submit your application.

If you don't wish to apply online:

  1. Download and complete the Family Energy Rebate Application Form 2019-2020 – PDF.
  2. Attach a copy of your most recent energy bill.
  3. Lodge your application by post or email to the details on the form.

Who's eligible?

To be eligible for the NSW Family Energy Rebate in a given financial year, you must:

  • be a NSW resident
  • be an on-supplied customer named on the bill of an energy retailer
  • have been the recipient of the FTB for the previous financial year and have had your entitlement to the FTB payments finalised by Centrelink.
  • the person in your household who's registered as the FTB recipient should lodge the application. The recipient is the person who receives correspondence on FTB from the DHS.

If you pay your energy bill directly to an energy retailer, visit Apply for the Family Energy Rebate (retail customers).

Things to keep in mind...

  • In 2019-2020 the Family Energy Rebate for on-supplied residents of community/retirement villages or strata schemes is up to $198. The amount varies depending on whether you're also eligible for the Low Income Household Rebate (on supply customers).
  • Invoices must be printed or hand-written if:
    • they have been prepared from a branded invoice book (company stamps will not be accepted)
    • the supplier doesn't have the capacity to provide printed invoices.
This transaction is not available at this time. Try again later.