The Medical Energy Rebate helps eligible NSW households cover the costs of their energy bills.
The rebate is for NSW customers who have an inability to self-regulate body temperature when exposed to extreme hot or cold environmental temperatures. To be eligible for the rebate, you'll need to have a diagnosis that you're unable to self-regulate your body temperature.
If you live in an on-supplied residential community, retirement village or strata scheme and you meet the eligibility requirements, you can apply for the rebate online.
Note: 'On supply' means you receive your energy bill or invoice from the strata manager or community/village operator.
You can apply for the Medical Energy Rebate if you or someone living at the address of the eligible customer:
- is a NSW resident
- is an on-supplied customer named on the energy bill
- has an inability to self-regulate body temperature
- has been assessed by a registered medical practitioner (who is not the applicant) who has been treating them for at least 3 months
- meets at least one Primary Qualifying Condition and at least one Secondary Qualifying Condition
- holds one of the following concession cards:
- Pensioner Concession Card issued by the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) or Services Australia
- Health Care Card issued by Services Australia, or
- DVA Gold Card.
If you pay your energy bill directly to an energy retailer, visit Apply for the Medical Energy Rebate (retail customers).
If you've been treated by different doctors from the Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) for at least 3 months, you may still be eligible for the rebate.
Note: Commonwealth Seniors Health Card holders are not eligible for this rebate. If you're unsure of your rebate eligibility, call 13 77 88.
What you need
- your personal and contact details
- your pensioner concession, health care or gold card details
- your medical practitioner to complete and sign the Medical Energy Rebate Medical Declaration – PDF
- your bank account details for the electronic funds transfer
- a printed (not hand-written) copy of your latest energy invoice (JPG or PDF file). Hand-written invoices will only be accepted if:
- they have been prepared from a branded invoice book (company stamps will not be accepted)
- the supplier does not have the capacity to provide printed invoices.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Follow the prompts to apply for the rebate.
You'll receive a confirmation number and an email with details on what happens next.
If you're unable to apply online:
- Download and complete Medical Energy Rebate Application Form On-Supply Household – PDF.
- Ask your medical practitioner (GP or specialist) to complete the form.
- Attach a copy of your most recent energy bill.
- Lodge your application by post or email to the details on the form.
You'll receive the rebate as a lump sum payment of $313.50 deposited into your bank account.
- Medical Energy Rebate Medical Declaration – PDF
- Medical Energy Rebate Application Form On-Supply Household – PDF. This form is also available in the following languages: