The NSW Family Energy Rebate helps people with dependent children pay their electricity bills.
The NSW Family Energy Rebate is up to $180 per retail (on-market) household, per financial year.
You will also receive a one-off $500 National Energy Bill Relief Household Payment in financial year 2023-24 if:
- you meet the eligibility criteria
- your application for the NSW Family Energy Rebate is successful
- your household has not already received the National Energy Bill Relief Household Payment.
If you are a retail (on-market) customer, you can apply for the NSW Family Energy Rebate online.
If you are an embedded network (on-supply) electricity customer, you may be eligible to apply for the NSW Family Energy Rebate (on supply customers).
- Applications for the 2023-24 NSW Family Energy Rebate will close at 11pm on Sunday 16 June 2024.
- Embedded network (‘on-supply') means your electricity is supplied by an embedded network – such as in a residential community, retirement village or strata scheme – and you receive your electricity bill or invoice from the strata manager or community/village operator. If you’re not sure whether you're an on-supply customer, contact the electricity provider named on your electricity bill.
You may be eligible if you live in NSW and all of the following apply:
- you have an electricity account for your home in NSW
- you're the account holder (the account and bill must be in your name)
- you received the Family Tax Benefit in the previous financial year and you have:
- lodged your tax return for the last financial year with the Australian Tax Office (ATO), and
- finalised your entitlement to the Family Tax Benefit payments with Centrelink.
What you need
- the confirmation letter from Services Australia that your Family Tax Benefit has been finalised for the last financial year
- your Services Australia Customer Reference Number (CRN)
- your energy account details.
Note: Services Australia cannot finalise your Family Tax Benefit until your tax return has been lodged. If you did not need to lodge a tax return, you need to notify Services Australia.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Complete and submit your application.
You'll receive a confirmation email with details on what happens next.
If you're unable to apply online:
- Download and complete the NSW Family Energy Rebate Application Form – PDF.
- Lodge your application by post to NSW Energy Rebates, PO Box 435, Parramatta NSW 2124.
- If your energy retailer is not listed in the online form, you'll need to download and complete the NSW Family Energy Rebate Application Form – PDF and lodge by post.
- Retail customers receive the rebate as a lump-sum payment of $180 (or $20 if you are also eligible to receive the NSW Low Income Household Rebate) credited to your energy bill.
- You can only receive the rebate for your principal place of residence.
- A household can only receive one NSW Family Energy Rebate each financial year.