The Life Support Energy Rebate helps eligible NSW households cover the costs of their energy bills.
The rebate is for NSW customers who need, or have someone living with them who needs, to use approved energy-intensive medical equipment at home. The equipment must be essential for supporting life, such as home dialysis, ventilators and oxygen concentrators.
If you live in an on-supplied residential community, retirement village or strata scheme, you can apply for the rebate online.
Note: 'On supply' means you receive an electricity bill or invoice issued by, or on behalf of, the owners or management of your residential community, retirement village, or strata scheme.
You can apply for the Life Support Energy Rebate if you or someone living at the address of the eligible customer:
- is a NSW resident
- is an on-supplied customer named on the energy bill
- has been assessed by a registered medical practitioner to verify that the use of the approved life support equipment is required at their principal place of residence.
If you pay your energy bill directly to your retailer, visit Apply for the Life Support Energy Rebate (retail customers).
What you need
- your personal and contact details
- your medical practitioner to complete and sign the Life Support Rebate Medical Declaration – PDF
- your bank account details for the electronic funds transfer
- a printed (not hand-written) copy of your latest energy invoice (JPG or PDF file). Hand-written invoices will only be accepted if:
- they have been prepared from a branded invoice book (company stamps will not be accepted)
- the supplier does not have the capacity to provide printed invoices.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Follow the prompts to apply for the rebate.
You'll receive a confirmation number and an email with details on what happens next.
If you're unable to apply online:
- Download and complete Life Support Rebate Application Form On-Supply Household – PDF.
- Ask your medical practitioner (GP or specialist) to complete the form.
- Attach a copy of your most recent electricity bill.
- Lodge your application by post or email to the details on the form.
- You'll need to reapply for this rebate every 2 years.
- You can receive more than one rebate if your doctor has prescribed more than one type of machine, such as an oxygen concentrator and a ventilator.
- If more than one person uses the approved equipment, you can receive multiple rebates, but you need to submit a separate application form for each patient.
- Some machines have a part-time and full-time (24 hour a day) rate rebate. Your doctor will need to indicate on the form the rate you use the equipment.
- Life Support Rebate Medical Declaration – PDF
- Life Support Rebate Application Form On-Supply Household – PDF. This form is also available in the following languages: