If you receive the Commonwealth Carer Allowance, you may be eligible for a refund on some of the vehicle tax paid when registering a vehicle.


Commonwealth Carer Allowance recipients who are the registered operators of an eligible vehicle (weighing between 976 kg and 2504 kg). 

Note: If the vehicle is registered in joint names, both operators must receive the Commonwealth Carer Allowance. 

What you need

  • the PDF form – ‘Carers Registration Rebate’
  • your Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN)
  • the vehicle's details (number plate and VIN number)
  • your NSW Driver Licence number. 

How to apply

  1. Select the ‘Download PDF form’ button.
  2. Download and complete the form. 
  3. Send the completed form to the email address on the form with the subject line 'Carer Rebate', or lodge it at a Service NSW Centre.

More information

  • The carer registration concession applies to one vehicle at a time.
  • The information you provide will be validated with Centrelink.
Last updated: 4 June 2024

Rate the information on the page