You need a motor vehicle recycler licence if your business includes:
- buying or obtaining, and demolishing or dismantling motor vehicles, or parts/accessories of motor vehicles
- buying and selling:
- major body and mechanical components of motor vehicles
- major car accessories
- prescribed parts/accessories of motor vehicles.
You can apply for a 1-year, 3-year or 5-year licence, online.
- be at least 18 years of age
- be considered fit and proper for the purposes of the licence (NSW Fair Trading checks and considers police records)
- have sufficient financial resources to carry on your business in accordance with the requirements of Fair Trading
- have approval from the relevant local council.
What you need
- your proof of identity
- nominated licence duration (1, 3 or 5 years)
- details of whether the licence is for an individual or for a corporation
- personal details of either the individual or business partners
- business details, including the registered name of the business
- ACN/ABN numbers
- the completed PDF form – 'Manager's Consent Form' (if you're employing a business manager)
- your payment.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Log in or create an account.
- Complete the online form.
- Attach the completed 'Manager's Consent Form' (if applicable).
- Enter your payment details.
- Submit the online form.
If you're unable to apply online:
- Download and complete:
- Submit your application with payment at a Service NSW Centre.
- A corporation must nominate an individual to be manager of the day-to-day business of the licensee. An individual may manage the business themselves or nominate another individual to manage the business.
- Where there is more than one manager, a separate Manager’s Consent Form must be completed for each manager.
- Once you're licensed as a motor vehicle recycler, you must display your licence name and number at your place of business, and publish them on any advertising or promotional material.
- You don't need a motor vehicle recycler licence for the following kinds of vehicles:
- vehicles not acquired for the transport of goods or passengers on public roads (such as agricultural equipment)
- vehicles that aren't capable of being registered in NSW, such as quad bikes, Segways, motorised wheelchairs and battery powered bikes.
Last updated: 12 May 2023