If you're a self-employed motor vehicle repairer, or you run a motor vehicle repair business in NSW, you must have a motor vehicle repairer licence.

You can apply for a 1-year, 3-year or 5-year licence online.

Note: All workers you employ must be qualified and certified in the classes of repair work they do.


You must:

  • be at least 18 years of age
  • be considered fit and proper for the purposes of the licence (NSW Fair Trading checks and considers police records)
  • have sufficient financial resources to carry on your business in accordance with the requirements of Fair Trading
  • have approval from the relevant local council.

What you need

  • your proof of identity
  • nominated licence duration (1, 3 or 5 years)
  • details of whether the licence is for an individual or for a corporation
  • personal details of either the individual or business partners
  • business details, including the registered name of the business
  • ACN/ABN numbers
  • the completed PDF form – 'Manager's Consent Form' (if you're employing a business manager)
  • your payment.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  3. Log in or create an account.
  4. Complete the online form.
  5. Attach the completed 'Manager's Consent Form' (if applicable).
  6. Enter payment details.
  7. Submit the online form.

If you're unable to apply online:

  1. Download and complete:
  2. Submit your application with payment at a Service NSW Centre.

More information

  • Once you're licensed as a motor vehicle repairer, you must display your licence name and number at your place of business, and publish them on any advertising or promotional material.
  • If you’re a motor vehicle repairer, you’re required to keep records for parts in a prescribed format (Prescribed Form 2 – PDF).

You don't need a motor vehicle repairer licence if you're only working with the following kinds of vehicles:

  • crane, hoist or conveyor
  • excavator, road grader, road roller, bulldozer or forklift truck or other machinery (other than a tractor), that is not constructed on a chassis of a type normally used in the construction of a truck
  • motor vehicle that is constructed or adapted for road construction or maintenance (including cleaning, sweeping or watering)
  • vehicle that is not acquired for use principally for the transport of passengers or goods on public roads (other than a trailer or towable recreation vehicle)
  • vehicle that is incapable of being registered by Transport for NSW (other than a motorcycle that is an unregistrable new motor cycle, or a defective registrable vehicle).

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 2 February 2024

Rate the information on the page