If you want to run a business offering loans to people using their property as collateral, you'll need a pawnbroker licence.
If you want to buy or sell used items or unwanted, unused goods like gifts, you'll also need a second-hand dealer licence.
Pawnbroker and second-hand dealer licences can be issued separately, or together as a combined licence.
- be aged 18 years or over
- be a 'fit and proper person' to hold a licence
- not be a disqualified person.
What you need
- the PDF form – 'Application for a Licence Under the Pawnbrokers and Second-Hand Dealers Act'
- your payment
- proof of identity (such as driver licence or passport).
How to apply
- Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
- Complete the form and submit your application in person at a Service NSW Centre, or by email using the details on the form.