If you hold a property licence in another state or territory, or New Zealand, you may be eligible to apply for the equivalent in NSW. 

An individual property licence lets you work as an agent in: 

  • real estate, including:
    • business broking
    • sales or leasing
    • onsite residential property management
  • strata management
  • stock and station.  

If eligible, you can also add an auctioneer accreditation to your licence. 

You can submit and pay for your application online.


To be eligible to apply for a mutually recognised property licence, you must:

  • hold an equivalent licence in another Australian state/territory or New Zealand
  • meet the NSW Fair Trading eligibility requirements
  • have completed the:
    • relevant qualification(s)
    • work experience requirements (if applicable)
  • have your principal place of business in NSW or within 50 kilometres of the NSW border.

What you need

You may also need (if applicable):

Proof of identity

Two proof of identity documents are required. They may include:

  • Australian driver licence
  • Medicare card
  • Australian passport
  • Australian birth certificate
  • Australian travel visa
  • Australian citizenship certificate
  • Australian certificate of registration by descent
  • ImmiCard.

How to apply

  1. Gather the required information.
  2. Select the ‘Apply online’ button.
  3. Follow the prompts to complete your application.

If you’re unable to apply online, you can submit your application form and supporting documents:

You'll also need to submit the completed PDF form – 'Individual Property Licence Application'.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

More information

Check the continuing professional development (CPD) requirements for your licence class. 

Last updated: 28 November 2023