You need a recreational fishing licence to fish in NSW. The NSW Government recreational fishing licence fees are:

  • $35 for a 1-year licence
  • $85 for a 3-year licence.


Who can claim a fee exemption

You do not have to pay the NSW recreational fishing fee if you're:

  • aged under 18
  • an adult assisting a person aged under 18 to take:
    • a fish with a single rod, or
    • prawns with a single dip or scoop net
  • fishing in a private dam less than 2 hectares in surface area
  • an Aboriginal person
  • the holder of one of the following:
    • current pensioner concession card issued by Services Australia or Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA)
    • current DVA Veteran Gold Card marked 'TPI' or 'EDA'
    • letter or statement from the DVA stating you receive a Disability Compensation Payment at 70% or higher, or are eligible for a Special Rate Disability Pension (SRDP).

Note: If you're eligible for a fee exemption, you'll need to carry the necessary proof when you're fishing, in case you're called upon to show it.

For further information, visit Recreational fishing fee exemptions.

What you need

  • your personal details
  • your mailing address
  • the date you want your licence to start
  • how long you need a licence for
  • your payment.

How to apply


  1. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  2. Complete the online application form.

By phone

You can get a recreational fishing licence (using Visa or Mastercard only) by calling 1300 369 365.

In person

To apply in person you can visit a service centre

Note: During holiday periods, check the service centre opening hours before you visit as our hours may change.

Add a digital licence

Once you have your recreational fishing licence, if you wish you can add it to: 

More information

  • Activities in NSW freshwater or saltwater that require a licence include:
    • spearfishing
    • hand lining or hand gathering
    • trapping
    • bait collecting
    • prawn netting
    • being on or near NSW waters and having fishing gear with you.
  • If you're aged 18 or over, you must show your licence fee receipt if asked by an authorised officer.
  • All money raised by the NSW Recreational Fishing Licence Fee is placed into the Recreational Fishing Trusts. Learn more about how the trust is improving recreational fishing in NSW.


The NSW Department of Primary Industries Privacy Collection Notice explains how your personal information will be handled.

Last updated: 29 April 2024