If you're working in the security industry in NSW, you must hold the appropriate Class 1 or Class 2 security operative licence. You can hold more than one class or subclass on a single licence.
Class 1 licences:
- 1A Security Officer
- 1B Bodyguard
- 1C Cash-in-Transit Guard
- 1D Guard Dog Handler
- 1E Monitoring Centre Operator
- 1F Armed Guard.
Class 2 licences:
- 2A Security Consultant
- 2B Security Seller
- 2C Security Equipment Specialist
- 2D Security Trainer
- 2E Private Investigator.
Note: If you already hold a security operative licence from:
- New South Wales and want to add a class or subclass, please refer to update details or vary a security operative licence
- another Australian state or territory, or from New Zealand, and want to carry on security activities in NSW, please refer to Mutual Recognition Scheme.
- be at least 18 years old
- be one of the following:
- an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- a New Zealand citizen
- the holder of a visa sponsored by a master licence holder, or
- the holder of a visa for a skilled occupation to which the activities authorised by the proposed licence correspond
- be a fit and proper person to hold the class of licence sought
- have enrolled in, or successfully completed, training with a Security Licensing & Enforcement Directorate (SLED) approved organisation to carry on the security activities for the licence class/es sought
- be competent to carry on the security activities to which the proposed licence relates.
Refer to Am I eligible for a NSW security licence? – PDF for further eligibility requirements.
What you need
- a MyServiceNSW Account – you can create one when you start your application
- 2 proof of identity documents to satisfy SLED’s licensing requirements – one must contain your photograph and may require certification
Note: You may also need to verify your identity to apply with your MyServiceNSW Account
- your personal details
- your payment.
If you're an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or a New Zealand citizen, a copy of one of the following documents with your application:
- full Australian birth certificate (not an extract), or
- Australian citizenship certificate (front and back page), or
- Australian passport (clearly showing your name, date of birth, photograph, passport number and expiry date), or
- New Zealand passport (original certified copy clearly showing your name, date of birth, photograph, passport number and expiry date), or
- an ImmiCard, or
- a foreign passport – clearly showing your name, date of birth, photograph, passport number, expiry date and country of issue (original certified copy only).
If you hold an eligible visa, you must provide a copy of the following document(s) with your application:
- an ImmiCard, or
- a foreign passport clearly showing your name, date of birth, photograph, passport number, expiry date and country of issue and your visa grant notification letter (both of which must be original certified copies), and
- a police certificate from each country (other than Australia) you have lived in for 12 months or more over the previous 10 years since turning 16 years of age. Each certificate must:
- have been issued within 12 months of your application
- be translated into English (if applicable)
- be verified as accurate by the country’s embassy or consulate in Australia.
If you've changed your name, a copy of one or more of the following:
- marriage certificate(s) issued by the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages or, if married elsewhere, the marriage certificate issued by the celebrant or church
- Change of Name certificate issued by the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages
- full birth certificate showing your name at birth and your new name (extracts and Commemorative certificates are not acceptable)
- divorce decree
- deed poll registered with the relevant authority
- instrument evidencing that the change of name has been registered with NSW Land Registry Services.
Training and competency requirements
Applicants for a Class 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1F licence will need to provide:
- copies of acceptable training documents, clearly showing your name, date of issue and the units of competency as specified in thecompetency requirements for Class 1 licences – PDF
- a copy of a current First Aid certificate or training qualification with the unit of competency HLTAID011 (Apply First Aid) or HLTAID014 (Provide Advanced First Aid).
Applicants for a Class 2A, 2D, 2E licence will need to provide evidence of the required training and experience as specified on the SLED website. You can email your evidence to SLEDLST@police.nsw.gov.au up to 42 days after lodging your application.
If you'd like help in completing your application, please call SLED on 1300 362 001.
Proof of identity
Two proof of identity documents are required (one must contain your photograph). They may include:
- Australian passport – clearly showing your name, date of birth, photograph, passport number and expiry date (may be expired within the last 2 years)
- Australian driver licence
- Australian birth certificate (not an extract)
- Australian citizenship certificate (front and back page)
- Australian certificate of registration by descent
- Australian marriage certificate
- Foreign passport – clearly showing your name, date of birth, photograph, passport number, expiry date and country of issue (original certified copy only)
- Health Card, Health Care Card or Seniors Health Card
- Medicare Card
- Pensioner Concession Card
- NSW Photo Card / Proof of Age Card (original certified copy only)
- Veteran Gold Card (original certified copy only)
- Veteran Pensioner Concession Card (original certified copy only)
- Veteran Seniors Health Card (original certified copy only).
How to apply
- Check you meet the eligibility requirements.
- Gather the required digital and scanned documentation.
Note: You are not able to make any changes online once you've submitted your application.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
- Follow the prompts to apply for your security operative licence.
Once you've submitted your application, you'll receive an email confirmation and payment receipt. You'll also receive a letter if you need to attend a Service NSW Centre to have your photo taken for your new security licence card.
Note: If you're unable to apply online, please contact SLED on 1300 362 001.
When entering your name, ensure you enter:
- your given name in the First Name field
- your surname in the Last Name field
- any other names in the Middle Name field
If you only have one name, please put a full stop in the First Name field and enter your name in the Last Name field.
To apply for a security operative licence with the Security Licensing & Enforcement Directorate (NSW Police Force), you'll need to create or log in with a MyServiceNSW Account.
Emails are used to communicate with you throughout the application process. To ensure you don’t miss out on important information, you should:
- notify SLED if you change your email address
- regularly check your spam folder
- add email@example.com to your contacts.
If your application is incomplete, or you fail to provide the required information, your application will be delayed and may be withdrawn. If your application is withdrawn, you'll receive a refund of fees paid minus the processing fee. Once a licence has been issued, there is no provision for a refund of fees.