Tradesperson certificates are issued for the following categories of work: 

  • plumbing, draining and gasfitting

  • medical gas and related mechanical services.

Provisional certificates can also be issued to overseas-trained applicants for the following categories of work:

  • plumbing, draining and gasfitting
  • electrical
  • air conditioning and refrigeration.

You can apply online if you've never held a tradesperson certificate.


You must:  

  • be aged 18 years or over   
  • be a fit and proper person to hold a tradesperson certificate  
  • meet the qualification and training requirements for the category of work you’re applying for 
  • not be a ‘disqualified person’ under the Home Building Act 1989 or another Act administered by the NSW Minister for Fair Trading
  • not be a current apprentice or trainee in the category of work you are applying for.

What you need

To apply online you need:

  • a MyServiceNSW Account
    • you can create one when you start your application
    • you may need details from 2 identity documents (such as Australian driver licence, Medicare card, passport)
  • copies of your qualifications in PDF, JPG or PNG format (certificates and transcripts from the registered training organisation)
  • for medical gasfitting categories, completed referee statement form showing 24 months' experience:
  • your payment.

How to apply

Apply online

You can apply online if you've never held a tradesperson certificate.

  1. Check the eligibility requirements
  2. Gather the required documents
  3. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  4. Follow the prompts to apply for a tradesperson certificate. 

In person at a Service NSW centre

You need to apply in person at a service centre if you hold or have held a tradesperson certificate, have a superseded qualification, or are applying under mutual recognition.

  1. Download and complete:
  2. Gather the required supporting documents as indicated on the form.
  3. Visit a service centre to submit your application.


To apply for a tradesperson certificate with NSW Fair Trading, you’ll need to create or log in with a MyServiceNSW Account. 

By logging in you consent to sharing your name and email address in your MyServiceNSW Account with NSW Fair Trading, a division of the Department of Customer Service. 

The Home building licences – privacy collection notice explains how your personal information will be handled once it is shared by Service NSW. 

More information

The holder of a tradesperson's certificate cannot sign off on the work undertaken. Work must be signed off by the holder of a contractor licence or qualified supervisor certificate.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 29 February 2024