If you've held your P2 licence for more than 24 months, you can apply for a full class C driver licence. You can also apply for this licence if you've held either an interstate unrestricted licence or overseas licence (not learner), for more than 3 years.

Applications for the licence are made at a service centre, and you can apply for a NSW Photo Card at the same time if you wish, and take advantage of paying a reduced application fee for it.

Note: If you obtained your provisional P2 licence before 20 November 2017, you'll need to successfully complete the driver qualification test.

What you'll need

  • evidence you've passed the driver qualification test (if applicable)
  • your current licence
  • your proof of identity (if applicable)
  • your concession card details (if applicable)
  • your contact lenses or glasses (if you wear them)
  • your method of payment
  • the PDF form – 'Licence Application'.

How to apply

  1. Download and complete the Licence Application – PDF.
  2. Check the tick box to apply for a Photo Card (if applicable).
  3. Make sure you have all your documentation and any additional items (if applicable).
  4. Visit a service centre and submit your application.

Who's eligible?

You must have held your P2 licence for at least 24 months.

Things to keep in mind...

  • A list of licence fees can be found on the RMS website.
  • When you apply for or renew a licence card or Photo Card at a service centre, it will be posted to you at no extra cost. Cards usually arrive within 10 working days.
  • If you haven’t received your card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
  • The Photo Card is voluntary – you don't have to have one, but you may find it useful to prove your identity in situations not related to driving.
  • Renewal notices are mailed generally within 6 weeks of the card's expiry date.
  • For driver licence renewals or applications, a receipt is provided which allows people to drive until the card arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 30 days.
  • Further information about centralised photocard printing is available on the Roads and Maritime Services website.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.