To apply for a learner driver licence, you must be 16 years of age or older. You’ll need to visit a service centre to prove your identity, pass a Driver Knowledge Test (DKT) and have your eyes tested.
After passing the DKT, you can apply for a NSW Photo Card at the same time if you wish, and take advantage of paying a reduced application fee for it.
What you'll need
How to apply
- Download and complete the Licence Application – PDF.
- Check the tick box to apply for a Photo Card (if applicable).
- Make sure you have all your documentation and any additional items (if applicable).
- Visit a service centre and submit your application.
- you need to be 16 years of age or older.
Things to keep in mind...
- You mustn't use any function of a mobile phone while you're driving or riding. This includes when you're waiting at lights, or stuck in traffic, and means texting, hands-free, speaker mode and GPS functions. The only time you can use your mobile is when you're safely parked out of the line of traffic.
- You can practise for the Driver Knowledge Test online.
- When you're learning to drive you must record your driving experience in a log book which you'll be given when you get your learner licence. If you're 25 or older you don't need to complete the log book.
- You hold your learner licence for at least 12 months, and must complete 120 hours of supervised driving practice, including 20 hours of night driving. If you're 25 or older you can apply for your provisional P1 licence at any time after obtaining your learner licence.
- A list of licence fees can be found on the Roads and Maritime website.
- keys2drive is an Australian Government-funded program offering learner drivers and their parents/supervisors a free driving lesson with an accredited professional driving instructor.
- When you apply for or renew a licence card or Photo Card at a service centre, it will be posted to you at no extra cost. Cards usually arrive within 10 working days.
- If you haven’t received your card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
- The Photo Card is voluntary – you don't have to have one, but you may find it useful to prove your identity in situations not related to driving.
- Renewal notices are mailed generally within 6 weeks of the card's expiry date.
- For driver licence renewals or applications, a receipt is provided which allows you to drive until the card arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 30 days.
- Further information about centralised card printing is available on the Roads and Maritime website.