The Life Support Energy Rebate helps eligible NSW households cover the costs of their energy bills.
The rebate is for NSW customers who need, or have someone living with them who needs to use approved energy-intensive medical equipment at home. The equipment must be essential for supporting life, such as home dialysis, ventilators and oxygen concentrators.
Note: Retail customers receive their energy bills directly from the retailer.
What you'll need
- the PDF form – 'NSW Life Support Rebate Application Form Retail Customers'
- your personal and contact details
- your medical practitioner to complete and sign the relevant sections of the form
- your energy account details.
How to apply
- Check you meet the eligibility requirements for the rebate.
- Select the 'Download PDF form' button.
- Complete the form.
- Ask your medical practitioner (GP or specialist) to complete the relevant section and sign the declaration.
- Send your application directly to your electricity retailer.
You can apply for the Life Support Energy Rebate if you or someone living at the address of the eligible customer:
- is a NSW resident
- is an account holder named on the bill of an energy retailer
- has been assessed by a registered medical practitioner to verify that the use of the approved life support equipment is required at their principal place of residence.
If you're an on supply customer and are billed for your energy use by the strata manager or community/village operator, please visit Apply for the Life Support Energy Rebate (on supply customers).
Things to keep in mind...
- You'll need to reapply for this rebate every 2 years.
- You can receive more than one rebate if your doctor has prescribed more than one type of machine, such as an oxygen concentrator and a ventilator.
- If more than one person uses the approved equipment, you can receive multiple rebates, but you need to submit a separate application form for each patient.
- Some machines have a part-time and full-time (24 hour a day) rate rebate. Your doctor will need to indicate on the form the rate you use the equipment.
- You'll receive the rebate as a credit on each quarterly electricity bill. The amount of the rebate depends on the machine and the number of days in the billing period.
- If you change energy providers, you need to submit a new, signed application form to your new provider, to continue to receive the rebate.