With the latest COVID-19 health advice to stay home, we strongly advise you to use our website or call 13 77 88, rather than visit a service centre. Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses.

Stay home: use online transactions or call 13 77 88
COVID-19 assistance

Text size


You need a motor vehicle recycler licence if your business includes:

  • buying or obtaining, and demolishing or dismantling motor vehicles, or parts/accessories of motor vehicles
  • buying and selling:
    • major body and mechanical components of motor vehicles
    • major car accessories
    • prescribed parts/accessories of motor vehicles.

You can apply for a 1-year or 3-year licence, online.


You must:

  • be at least 18 years of age
  • be considered fit and proper for the purposes of the licence (NSW Fair Trading checks and considers police records)
  • not be disqualified from holding a licence as a result of a disciplinary action
  • not be a controlled member of a declared organisation
  • not have been found guilty, in the past 10 years, of a motor vehicle stealing offence
  • not be bankrupt
  • have sufficient financial resources to carry on your business in accordance with the requirements of Fair Trading
  • have approval from the relevant local council.

What you need

  • nominated licence duration (1 or 3 years)
  • personal details of either the individual or business partners
  • business details, including the registered name of the business
  • ACN/ABN number 
  • the completed PDF form – 'Manager's Consent Form' (if applicable)
  • your payment.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  3. Log in or create an account.
  4. Complete the online form.
  5. Attach the completed 'Manager's Consent Form' (if applicable).
  6. Enter your payment details.
  7. Submit the online form.

If you're unable to apply online:

  1. Download and complete Application for a Licence – PDF (including the Manager's Consent Form section, if applicable).
  2. Submit your application with payment at a service centre.

More information

  • A corporation must nominate an individual to be manager of the day-to-day business of the licensee. An individual may manage the business themselves or nominate another individual to manage the business.
  • Where there is more than one manager, a separate Manager’s Consent Form must be completed for each manager.
  • Once you're licensed as a motor vehicle recycler, you must display your licence name and number at your place of business, and publish them on any advertising or promotional material.
  • You don't need a motor vehicle recycler licence for the following kinds of vehicles:
    • vehicles not acquired for the transport of goods or passengers on public roads (such as agricultural equipment)
    • vehicles that aren't capable of being registered in NSW, such as quad bikes, segways, motorised wheelchairs and battery powered bikes.
You'll be taken to another website.