Visit our storms and floods page for information on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses


You need a permit to buy or own a paintball marker (paintball gun) in NSW.

The permit allows you to buy/own the paintball marker – it does not allow you to use the paintball marker outside an authorised venue.

Permits can be for 1, 3 or 5 years.

You can apply for the permit online.


You must:

  • be aged 18 years or over
  • pass a fit and proper person assessment
  • have completed the General Firearms Safety training course for Long Arms.

You do not need a permit if you:

  • are staying in NSW for less than 3 months
  • hold an equivalent authorisation for a paintball marker which is not suspended or cancelled:
    • an adult firearms licence issued in the category of paintball marker under the Firearms Act 1996 of the Australian Capital Territory
    • a licence for a category A weapon within the meaning of the Weapons Act 1990 of Queensland
    • a licence for a category A firearm within the meaning of the Firearms Act 2015 of South Australia
    • a Category A firearms licence within the meaning of the Firearms Act 1996 of Tasmania
    • a paintball marker licence within the meaning of the Firearms Act 1996 of Victoria
    • a licence for a subcategory E5 firearm issued under the Firearms Act 1973 of Western Australia.

What you need

  • a MyServiceNSW Account
  • your contact details
  • one form of identity such as a driver licence, Australian passport or Medicare Card
  • your payment

How to apply

  1. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  2. Follow the prompts to complete the application.
  3. Attach any supporting documents.
  4. Submit your application with payment. 

If you're unable to apply online, you can:

  1. download and complete the Application for a new paintball permit – PDF and Additional details form (paintball permit) – PDF (if applicable)
  2. gather your supporting documentation
  3. send the documents by email to

More information

The same fee applies for a 1, 3 or 5-year permit. 

Payment methods

You can pay online with:

  • PayPal
  • credit or debit card.
You'll be taken to another website.