You need a permit to buy or own a paintball marker (paintball gun) in NSW.
The permit allows you to buy/own the paintball marker – it does not allow you to use the paintball marker outside an authorised venue.
Permits can be for 1, 3 or 5 years.
You can apply for the permit online.
- be aged 18 years or over
- pass a fit and proper person assessment
- have completed the General Firearms Safety training course for Long Arms.
You do not need a permit if you:
- are staying in NSW for less than 3 months
- hold an equivalent authorisation for a paintball marker which is not suspended or cancelled:
- an adult firearms licence issued in the category of paintball marker under the Firearms Act 1996 of the Australian Capital Territory
- a licence for a category A weapon within the meaning of the Weapons Act 1990 of Queensland
- a licence for a category A firearm within the meaning of the Firearms Act 2015 of South Australia
- a Category A firearms licence within the meaning of the Firearms Act 1996 of Tasmania
- a paintball marker licence within the meaning of the Firearms Act 1996 of Victoria
- a licence for a subcategory E5 firearm issued under the Firearms Act 1973 of Western Australia.
What you need
- a MyServiceNSW Account
- your contact details
- one form of identity such as a driver licence, Australian passport or Medicare Card
- your payment.
How to apply
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Follow the prompts to complete the application.
- Attach any supporting documents.
- Submit your application with payment.
If you're unable to apply online, you can:
The same fee applies for a 1, 3 or 5-year permit.
You can pay online with:
- credit or debit card.