If you've held your P1 licence for at least 12 months, you can apply for a provisional P2 class C driver licence.

You can also apply for this licence if you've held:

  • an interstate provisional or unrestricted licence, or
  • an overseas licence (not learner) for more than 12 months but less than 3 years.

Applications for the licence are made at a service centre, and if you wish, you can apply for a NSW Photo Card at the same time, and take advantage of paying a reduced application fee for it.

Note: If you obtained your provisional P1 licence before 20 November 2017, you'll need to successfully complete the Hazard Perception Test (HPT).


You need to have held your P1 licence for more than 12 months.

What you need

  • evidence you've passed the HPT (if applicable)
  • your current licence
  • your proof of identity (if applicable)
  • your concession card details (if applicable)
  • your contact lenses or glasses (if you wear them)
  • your payment
  • the PDF form – 'Licence Application'.

How to apply

  1. Download and complete the Licence Application – PDF.
  2. Check the tick box to apply for a Photo Card (if applicable).
  3. Make sure you have all your documentation and any additional items (if applicable).
  4. Visit a service centre and submit your application.

More information

  • You mustn't use any function of a mobile phone while you're driving or riding. This includes when you're waiting at lights, or stuck in traffic, and means texting, hands-free, speaker mode and GPS functions. The only time you can use your mobile is when you're safely parked out of the line of traffic.
  • A P2 licence is valid for 36 months. After 24 months (minimum tenure) you can upgrade to a full licence provided you haven't been suspended for unsafe driving. For every suspension the minimum tenure is extended by 6 months (unless you got your P2 licence before 20 November 2017).
  • If you get 7 demerit points your P2 licence is suspended or refused.
  • When you apply for or renew a licence card or Photo Card at a service centre, it will be posted to you at no extra cost. Cards usually arrive within 10 working days.
  • If you haven’t received your card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
  • The Photo Card is voluntary – you don't have to have one, but you may find it useful to prove your identity in situations not related to riding/driving.
  • Renewal notices are posted generally within 6 weeks of the card's expiry date.
  • For driver licence renewals or applications a receipt is provided which allows people to drive until the card arrives in the mail. The receipt is valid for 30 days.
  • Further information about centralised printing is available on the Roads and Maritime Services website.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.