Back to top

When fishing in NSW waters, both freshwater and saltwater, you'll need to carry a receipt showing your payment of the Recreational Fishing Fee. This applies when spear fishing, hand lining, hand gathering, trapping, bait collecting and prawn netting or when in possession of fishing gear in, on or near these waters. You ​can apply for a Recreational Fishing Licence online.

Once you have your fishing licence you can access it digitally using your mobile phone or tablet device. You'll need to have a MyServiceNSW account and the latest version of the Service NSW app. Then you'll need to link your MyService NSW Account to the Department of Primary Industries.

Apply online
  • your personal details
  • your residential and postal address
  • the licence start date and duration, and
  • a valid credit card for the licence fee.
Apply online
  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Click the 'Apply online' button.
  3. Complete the online application form.
  4. Enter your payment details.
  5. Read and confirm the declaration.
Apply online

You must pay the NSW recreational fishing fee to fish in fresh and saltwater in NSW, unless you're:

  • under the age of 18 years
  • an adult helping a person under the age of 18 to take a fish using a single rod or to take prawns using a single dip or scoop net
  • a person fishing in a private dam with a surface area of 2 hectares or less
  • an Aboriginal person, or
  • the holder of any of the following:
    1. a current Pensioner Concession Card issued by Centrelink
    2. a current Pensioner Concession Card issued by the Department of Veterans' Affairs
    3. Commonwealth Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Treatment Card endorsed 'Totally and Permanently Incapacitated'
    4. Commonwealth Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Treatment Card endorsed 'Extreme Disablement Adjustment', or
    5. a letter from the Commonwealth Department of Veterans' Affairs stating that you receive a disability pension of 70% or higher, or an intermediate pension.

Seniors Cards, Health Care Cards and Repatriation Health Cards will not exempt you from paying the fishing fee.

To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit Department of Primary Industries

Apply online

Need help?

We’re happy to help you with this transaction.

Feel free to call us on 13 77 88 or visit a service centre

Source url: