You must carry your recreational fishing licence or a receipt showing your payment of the recreational fishing fee when you are:
- fishing in NSW waters, both freshwater and saltwater
- on or near NSW waters and have fishing gear with you.
You must also carry your licence or receipt when you are:
- hand lining or hand gathering
- bait collecting
- prawn netting.
Note: You do not have to apply for a licence if you are eligible for a recreational fishing licence exemption, but you must carry the required identity document with you when you go fishing and show it if asked by an authorised officer.
Add your licence to the Service NSW app
You can apply for a recreational fishing licence online. Once you have your licence, you can access it on your mobile phone or tablet device if you have
You can then link your MyServiceNSW Account to the Department of Primary Industries for your digital fishing licence.
You must complete an application and pay the recreational fishing fee if you are not eligible for an exemption.
To make sure you have all the information and documents you need to complete your recreational fishing licence application, visit the Department of Primary Industries.
Fishing licence exemptions
If you are exempt from having a fishing licence, you do not need to complete a form. You must take the required identity document with you when you go fishing and show it if asked by an authorised officer.
Visit the Department of Primary Industries website to find out about
- recreational fishing licence exemptions
- identity documents to prove your exemption.
What you need
- your personal details
- your residential and postal address
- the date you want your licence to start
- how long you need a licence for
- a valid credit card for the licence fee.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Select 'Start'.
- Complete the online application form.
- Enter your payment details.
- Read and confirm the declaration.