When fishing in NSW waters, both freshwater and saltwater, you must carry your recreational fishing licence or a receipt showing your payment of the recreational fishing fee, at all times. This includes when spear fishing, hand lining, hand gathering, trapping, bait collecting and prawn netting, or when in possession of fishing gear in, on or near these waters.
You can apply for a recreational fishing licence online.
Once you have your licence, you can access it digitally using your mobile phone or tablet device. You'll need to have a MyServiceNSW Account and the latest version of the Service NSW app. You can then link your MyServiceNSW Account to the Department of Primary Industries.
Fishing fee exemptions: people who meet certain criteria are exempt from paying. If you are exempt, you must carry your pensioner/concession card while fishing and produce it if requested by an authorised officer.
What you'll need
- your personal details
- your residential and postal address
- the licence start date and duration
- a valid credit card for the licence fee.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Select 'Start'.
- Complete the online application form.
- Enter your payment details.
- Read and confirm the declaration.
You must pay the recreational fishing fee unless you're:
- under the age of 18 years
- an adult helping a person under the age of 18 to take a fish using a single rod, or to take prawns using a single dip or scoop net
- a person fishing in a private dam with a surface area of 2 hectares or less
- a First Nation's person, or
- the holder of any of the following:
- Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card
- Pensioner Concession Card issued by the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA)
- DVA Gold Card endorsed 'Totally and Permanently Incapacitated'
- DVA Gold Card endorsed 'Extreme Disablement Adjustment'
- a letter from the Commonwealth Department of Veterans' Affairs stating that you receive a disability pension of 70% or higher, or an intermediate pension.
- holders of Seniors Cards, Health Care Cards and Repatriation Health Cards are not exempt from paying the fishing fee.
To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit Department of Primary Industries.