The NSW Relationship register provides legal recognition for adults in a relationship, provided at least one of them lives in NSW.
If you and your partner would like to register your relationship, you can book an appointment to do so, in person at a service centre.
Note that you're able to change or cancel a service centre booking, online.
- one of you lives in NSW
- you're both over 18 years of age
- you're not married to each other or anyone else
- you're not in a registered relationship in another state or territory in Australia
- you're not in a relationship as a couple with another person
- you're not related by family.
What you need
- the PDF form – 'Application to register a relationship'
- personal and contact details of each partner
- statutory declarations from each partner, witnessed by an authorised witness
- 3 personal identity documents for each partner, as specified on the form
- your payment.
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Download and complete the Application to register a relationship – PDF, including the statutory declarations.
- Select the 'Book an appointment' button.
- 'Select' your chosen service centre and schedule your booking.
- Follow the online prompts, enter the required details, and confirm your booking.
- Attend your appointment at the service centre.
If you don't wish to visit a service centre, you can post your application to:
NSW Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages
GPO Box 30
Sydney, NSW 2001
- You do not have to live together to be eligible to register your relationship.
- There's a 28-day cooling off period from receipt of the application, after which the relationship will be registered. Within this period, you can withdraw your application, however your application fee won't be refunded.
- Certificates are sent by the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages via registered post. They can't be collected at a service centre.