You can transfer a liquor licence when you buy or sell a business or when you want to change the licensee. Usually Liquor & Gaming NSW will give you provisional approval within 10 working days, so the business can continue operating. Confirmation of the transfer will take about 60 days if all relevant training has been completed.

If you have the necessary authorisation, you can transfer online.


Applicants must be 18 years or older and may be:

  • the existing licensee
  • the proposed licensee
  • the premises owner
  • the business owner
  • secretary or other office-bearer (only for a limited liquor licence held on behalf of a non-proprietary association)
  • general manager of a council (only for a limited liquor licence held on behalf of a non-proprietary association that is a public authority or community association).

What you need

For all applicants:

and for individuals specifically:

  • copy of your NSW National Police Check certificate, which should be less than 3 months old
  • evidence of Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) qualification
  • evidence of Responsible Conduct of Gambling (RCG) qualification (if operating gaming machines)
  • personal details of:
    • transferee
    • proposed/present premises owner
    • proposed/present business owner
    • any interested third parties.

and for organisations specifically:

  • evidence of an appointed liquor approved manager
  • transferee's current Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) company information report showing directors and shareholders
  • details of:
    • transferee, including ABN, ACN, Y/Inc
    • transferee's contact person
    • proposed/present premises owner, including ABN, ACN, Y/Inc
    • proposed/present business owner, including ABN, ACN, Y/Inc
    • interested third parties, including ABN, ACN, Y/Inc
  • Declaration by incoming manager – PDF
  • Declaration by organisation – PDF.

How to apply

  1. Select the ‘Go to Liquor Licence Manager’ button. 
  2. Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
  3. Select 'view licences'.
  4. Select 'view details' on the licence you want to amend.
  5. Select 'modify licence'.
  6. Select 'Apply to transfer a liquor licence (with previous licensee's consent)'.
  7. Attach any supporting documents.
  8. Submit your application with payment.

More information

  • When lodging online, ensure all the documents you attach are in PDF format.
  • Declarations of consent must be signed by the appropriate office holders of the organisations, in accordance with section 127 of the Corporations Act 2001.
  • Fees vary depending on the type of licence you want to transfer, and online submissions receive a 10% discount.
  • If you want to transfer the liquor licence of a registered club because a club amalgamation is proposed, you'll need the Liquor licence transfer – club – PDF.
Last updated: 22 March 2024

Rate the information on the page