If you're a war veteran with a service related disability, you can apply for an ex-defence personnel transport concession entitlement card. This card entitles you to free travel on most public transport in NSW. You can also apply for a free Opal card at the same time.

What you'll need

  • your personal and contact details
  • your DVA file number, and
  • your Unique Identification Number (if applicable).

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  3. Enter your personal details.
  4. Complete and submit the form.

Who's eligible?

You must be:

  • a permanent resident of NSW
  • a war veteran from Australia, New Zealand or a WWII Allied Nation having reciprocal pension rights with Australia, and:
    • been rated by the DVA as having a service-related disability of 10% or more, or
    • receive, or have received, payment from the DVA for permanent impairment compensation, and your overall impairment points are 10 or higher.

Blinded Soldiers, World War 1 veterans' widows and recipients of the Victoria Cross or the George Cross receive a different pass for free travel.

Things to keep in mind...

  • You must carry your transport concession entitlement card (proof of entitlement) when travelling with a concession ticket or a concession Opal card, or you may be fined.
  • Free travel isn't available on fast ferries between Manly and Circular Quay, event shuttle buses, charter bus services, Great Southern Rail services, or NSW TrainLink regional services.
    • If you live outside the Sydney and Newcastle suburban areas however, you are entitled to a combined total of 3 return or 6 single free journeys on NSW TrainLink each calendar year, for travel within NSW or the NSW portion of an interstate journey. When travelling interstate, you pay the applicable fare from the NSW border to the interstate destination.
  • You'll need to pay a concessional station access fee at Sydney Domestic and International Airport train stations.
  • Check with your Local Transport Operators to find out if they recognise the ex-defence personnel transport concession entitlement card.
You'll be taken to another website.