To progress to a full licence through the NSW driver/rider graduated licensing scheme, you need to pass various tests at each stage, including:
- driver/rider knowledge test
- hazard perception test
- driving practical test.
You can book these tests online.
Check the eligibility requirements before you book, as each of the tests has different requirements.
COVID-19 safety requirements
When you go to a driver or rider licence test, you
- must wear a face mask
- must have evidence to show that you either:
- are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (have received 2 doses of the vaccine) or
- have a negative COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test result from a sample taken on the day of your driver or rider licence test (a photo of your negative test next to your existing licence on a mobile phone is sufficient).
Note: A negative PCR test is no longer required.
Physical distancing will be maintained at the service centre as a safety measure. Follow all safety instructions when you are at the service centre.
All driving testers are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and will wear a face mask during your test.
Evidence of overseas vaccinations
If you’ve received an approved COVID-19 vaccine while overseas, you can have it recorded on the Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) as evidence of vaccination. For more information, visit Services Australia.
- You can sit a driver licence test when you've completed all the requirements specific to the test you choose.
- Prepare for your driving tests by downloading handbooks and checking your skills and knowledge on practice tests.
- To drive a heavy vehicle, you'll need the appropriate class of licence. For your heavy vehicle driving test, you'll need to meet load requirements.
- If you have logged your hours via a log book app, you need to submit your hours through the app at least 48 hours before your driving test.
Contact a motorcycle rider training provider if you'd like to book:
- pre-learner rider training/testing in a declared area.
Contact a service centre if you'd like to book any of the following:
- motorcycle tests in non-declared areas
- aged, deaf and disabled driving and riding tests
- instructor, and instructor taking impart knowledge tests
- short manual driving test
- interpreter-assisted tests.
For more information on the NSW graduated licensing system, visit Getting a Licence on the Transport for NSW (TfNSW) website.
What you need
How to book
- Select the 'Book online' button.
- Select 'Your details (existing Transport customer)' or 'First time customer' or 'Log in'.
- Enter your details and select 'Continue'.
- Choose a test.
- Choose a location.
- Choose a date and time.
- Enter payment details.
- Confirm and pay.
- View, print or email your confirmation.
- If you fail your driving test, the examiner will explain to you why you failed in the particular area/s.
- You can take the test as many times as you like, but you must pay each time, and allow 7 days between tests.
- If your vehicle has an airbag affected by the Takata airbag recall, you’ll need to have this replaced before your test, otherwise, your driver test won’t take place. Check online if your vehicle is affected.
Service NSW and TfNSW are aware of a Third Party website offering to book licence tests online. In addition to the fee charged by TfNSW, this site charges additional fees to book a test. Customers should note that TfNSW and Service NSW do not have any connection with other websites or services, and are limited in the assistance that can be provided if customers experience difficulties booking through Third Party websites. If you'd like to book a driver or licence test we recommend that you use the online test booking service provided by Online Services.