With the latest COVID-19 health advice to stay home, we strongly advise you to use our website or call 13 77 88, rather than visit a service centre. Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses.

Stay home: use online transactions or call 13 77 88
COVID-19 assistance

Text size


Anyone who works face-to-face with children in a paid, self-employed or voluntary capacity, must have a Working With Children Check (WWCC) clearance, unless they qualify for an exemption.

A WWCC involves a National Police Check (criminal history record check) and a review of reportable workplace misconduct. The outcome of a check is either a clearance to work with children, or a bar against working with children.

If cleared, a check is valid for 5 years, however cleared applicants are continuously monitored. 

If you want to verify that someone has a WWCC clearance, you can do so online.


You can check the WWCC status of the following paid, self-employed or voluntary:

  • babysitters
  • nannies
  • tutors/music teachers
  • sporting coaches
  • au pairs
  • home carers
  • child carers.

What you need

  • their name
  • their date of birth
  • their WWCC number, or
  • application number (if applicable) 
  • your name
  • your email address.

How to check

  1. Select the 'Check online' button.
  2. Select if you are verifying as an employer or a parent.
  3. Complete the online form.
  4. Select 'Submit'.

You'll receive an email with the status of that person's WWCC.

More information

You'll receive an email detailing the person's WWCC status as 'cleared', 'barred' or 'not found'.

  • 'Cleared' means the person is cleared to work with children.
  • 'Barred' means the person cannot work with children, whether paid or unpaid. Don't hire this person. It's an offence to hire a barred worker for child-related work.
  • 'Not found' means there was no matching result because their details were entered incorrectly, or their application was withdrawn, terminated, or not completed. It's an offence to hire someone who doesn't have a WWCC.

The NSW legislation allows parents and other close relatives (such as sibling, grandparent, step-parent, uncle) to volunteer in activities that involve their own children, without needing a Working With Children Check.

You'll be taken to another website.