When you buy a new car, truck or motorcycle, motor dealers will often organise the registration for you. If this is not the case, you can register the vehicle yourself at a Service NSW Centre.

You can also visit a service centre to register a camper trailer or caravan.

Note: If there's no record of you with Transport for NSW (TfNSW), you'll need to set up your customer number or driver licence number first.

What you need

  • your proof of identity
  • proof of registration entitlement
  • original report from an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Scheme (AUVIS) station – blue slip
  • original compulsory third party (CTP) insurance policy receipt:
    • issued by a NSW insurance provider for 12 months
    • without the number plate details
  • weighbridge ticket (only required where TfNSW-issued Road Vehicle Descriptors (RVDs) or vehicle specification sheet not available)
  • a compliance certificate from the Vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Scheme (VSCCS) (if the vehicle has been modified)
  • your payment
  • your concession details (if applicable)
  • the PDF form – 'Application for Registration'.

How to apply

  1. Download and complete the Application for Registration – PDF.
  2. Make sure you have all the required documentation.
  3. Visit a service centre and submit your application and payment.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 11 January 2024