Back to top

If you meet certain eligibility criteria, you can renew your NSW Driver Licence online, for a term of 1, 3 or 5 years.

If you'd like a 10 year licence, or you don't meet the eligibility requirements, you'll need to visit a service centre and renew in person.

At a service centre, you're able to apply for a NSW Photo Card at the same time if you wish, and take advantage of paying a reduced application fee for it.

Renew onlineorFind a service centre
  • a MyServiceNSW Account connected to Roads and Maritime Services
  • your method of payment.

If you don't have an account, you can Register now. All you need to get started is an email address, and:

  • your NSW driver licence details, or
  • the plate number of a vehicle registered in your name.

To renew in person at a service centre, you'll need:

  • your licence renewal notice (if it's available)
  • your NSW driver licence card
  • your contact lenses or glasses (if you wear them)
  • your concession details (if applicable)
  • your method of payment
  • the PDF form – 'Licence Renewal Application'.
Renew onlineorFind a service centre
  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Renew online' button.
  3. Log into your MyServiceNSW Account, or register one now. If your account is new or was not previously connected to Roads and Maritime Services, enter your NSW driver licence details.
  4. Select your renewal details.
  5. Answer the declaration questions.
  6. Review and submit your declaration.
  7. Check and confirm your renewal details.
  8. Enter your payment details.
  9. Print your transaction receipt and your temporary paper licence (also known as a Driver Licence Receipt).
  10. Sign the temporary paper licence and carry it with you at all times when driving, along with your old licence card if you have it.
  11. Your new NSW driver licence card will be posted to you at the mailing address on record with Roads and Maritime Services. You should receive it within 10 business days.

If you're not renewing online:

  1. Download and complete the Licence Renewal Application – PDF.
  2. Check the tick box to apply for a Photo Card (if applicable).
  3. Gather the required documents, your glasses/contact lenses if you wear them, and your payment, and visit a service centre.
Renew onlineorFind a service centre

You can renew your NSW Driver Licence online if you meet all of the following criteria:

  • you hold an eligible driver licence that will expire in 6 months or less, or expired no more than 6 months ago, including:
    • provisional (P1, P2) licence
    • unrestricted driver licence (C, R, LR, MR, HR, HC, MC)
  • you're aged between 21 and 75 (or 70 if your licence class is MC)
  • your licence is not subject to any restrictions related to enforcement (for example cancelled, disqualified, suspended, refused, or pending an appeal or suspension decision)
  • you’ve had your signature and photograph taken by Roads and Maritime within 10.5 years before the new licence expires
  • you meet the eyesight requirements.

You'll need to visit a service centre to renew your licence if any of the following apply:

  • you'd like to apply for a NSW Photo Card at the same time
  • you've changed your address within the last 14 days
  • your licence expired more than 6 months ago
  • you don't meet the eyesight requirements
  • you have a medical condition which may affect safe driving (for example fainting, diabetes, heart disease, epilepsy, sleep disorders)
  • you regularly use drugs (such as stimulants or drugs of addiction)
  • you have any disabilities which may affect your driving
  • you have any restrictions on your licence (for example, a suppressed address or an interlock condition)
  • you hold a combined driver licence and boat licence
  • your last renewal was done using a photo-kit
  • you need to complete an Older driver assessment
  • you're an eligible pensioner entitled to a concession.
Renew onlineorFind a service centre
  • If you renew online, your new licence card will be printed using the photo already stored by Roads and Maritime. If you renew in person, you'll have a new photo taken.
  • Carry your old licence with you when you drive, if you still have it.
  • If your temporary paper licence is lost, stolen or damaged before you receive your new licence card, you can get a copy of it online.
  • If you haven’t received your new licence card through the mail within 10 working days, please call us on 13 77 88.
  • The Photo Card is voluntary – you don't have to have one, but you may find it useful to prove your identity in situations not related to driving.
Renew onlineorFind a service centre

Payment methods

For online or phone transactions, you can pay with:

  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, or American Express).

For transactions in person at a service centre, you can pay with:

  • cash (in Australian currency)
  • cheque (personal, bank or agency drawn)
  • money order
  • credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express* or EFTPOS), or
  • Android Pay app.

Please note that you may need to pay a merchant fee when paying by credit or debit card.

* Unfortunately, some locations may not accept American Express.

Need help?

We’re happy to help you with this transaction.

Feel free to call us on 13 77 88 or visit a service centre

Source url: