If you're not able to pay a fine and you meet the eligibility requirements, you can request a Work and Development Order (WDO).

A WDO enables you to pay off or reduce your fine by:

  • doing unpaid work
  • taking a course, or
  • receiving treatment.

You'll need to find an approved sponsor organisation or health practitioner who agrees to support your WDO activity and will apply on your behalf. 

The amount your fine is reduced by will be determined by the activity you complete in your WDO and is up to $1,000 a month.


You're eligible if you meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • under 18 years of age
  • experiencing serious financial hardship
  • have a mental health condition
  • have an intellectual or cognitive disability
  • experiencing homelessness
  • experiencing an alcohol or substance use disorder.

What you need

  • documentation to support your eligibility claim
  • the support of an approved sponsor organisation or health practitioner.

How to request

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Find a sponsor' button.
  3. Select the region appropriate for you.
  4. Contact a sponsor to discuss your situation. If you're not able to find a suitable sponsor, call the WDO hotline for assistance on 1300 478 879
  5. If the sponsor agrees to sponsor you, they'll ask you to provide the supporting documentation they need.
  6. Your sponsor will then complete and lodge the WDO application on your behalf.
Last updated: 25 March 2024