COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. Read about the COVID-19 assistance available for NSW residents and businesses. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. Call 13 77 88 for assistance or visit COVID-19.

Text size


If you've moved from interstate and are now living in NSW, you need to register your vehicle in NSW. You can do this at a service centre.

Please note: If a vehicle is kept or garaged in NSW and doesn't have a NSW registration, it is considered 'unregistered'. Severe penalties apply if you drive an unregistered or uninsured vehicle.

What you need

  • your proof of identity
  • your business or organisation details
  • proof of your registration entitlement
  • evidence of pensioner or concession entitlement (if applicable)
  • the original number plates
  • original CTP Green Slip Insurance policy receipt (insurance must be issued for 12 months, be without number plates details and must be issued by a NSW insurance provider)
  • report from an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station (blue slip), issued no more than 42 days prior
  • compliance certificate from the Vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Scheme (if the vehicle has been modified)
  • the PDF form – 'Application for Registration'.

If applicable, evidence that you've paid stamp duty on the following vehicle types in these states:

  • Australian Capital Territory: Light vehicles (other than trailers and motorcycles) with a year model 2008 onwards.
  • Queensland: Light trailers up to 4.5 tonnes and primary producer vehicles over 6 tonnes.
  • South Australia: Light trailers up to 4.5 tonnes, and buses with 12 seats or more and used for hire and reward. 
  • Victoria: Light trailers up to 4.5 tonnes. 

How to apply

  1. Download and complete Application for Registration – PDF.
  2. Gather the required documentation and your old number plates.
  3. Visit a service centre and lodge your application.

More information

  • Blue slip reports are only valid for 42 days.
  • If you'll be wanting to claim Toll Relief, you'll need to contact a NSW toll provider and set up a NSW personal toll account.
  • In a few circumstances you're able to keep your old interstate number plates. It depends on the state/territory of issue, and the type of plate.
  • To receive a NSW stamp duty exemption, you'll need to provide evidence of proof of stamp duty payment on the vehicle in another jurisdiction. 

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.