If you've moved from interstate and are now living in NSW, you need to register your vehicle in NSW. You can do this at a service centre.
Please note: If a vehicle is kept or garaged in NSW and doesn't have a NSW registration, it is considered 'unregistered'. Severe penalties apply if you drive an unregistered or uninsured vehicle.
What you need
- your proof of identity
- your business or organisation details
- proof of your registration entitlement
- evidence of pensioner or concession entitlement (if applicable)
- the original number plates
- original CTP Green Slip Insurance policy receipt (insurance must be issued for 12 months, be without number plates details and must be issued by a NSW insurance provider)
- report from an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station (blue slip), issued no more than 42 days prior
- compliance certificate from the Vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Scheme (if the vehicle has been modified)
- the PDF form – 'Application for Registration'.
If applicable, evidence that you've paid stamp duty on the following vehicle types in these states:
- Australian Capital Territory: Light vehicles (other than trailers and motorcycles) with a year model 2008 onwards.
- Queensland: Light trailers up to 4.5 tonnes and primary producer vehicles over 6 tonnes.
- South Australia: Light trailers up to 4.5 tonnes, and buses with 12 seats or more and used for hire and reward.
- Victoria: Light trailers up to 4.5 tonnes.
How to apply
- Download and complete Application for Registration – PDF.
- Gather the required documentation and your old number plates.
- Visit a service centre and lodge your application.
- Blue slip reports are only valid for 42 days.
- If you'll be wanting to claim Toll Relief, you'll need to contact a NSW toll provider and set up a NSW personal toll account.
- In a few circumstances you're able to keep your old interstate number plates. It depends on the state/territory of issue, and the type of plate.
- To receive a NSW stamp duty exemption, you'll need to provide evidence of proof of stamp duty payment on the vehicle in another jurisdiction.