Visit our storms and floods page for information on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses

Insurance support

NSW Police Force

The NSW Police Force has provided an online form you can complete, if you need an official record of bushfire damage. The NSW Police Force report is for property damage only.

This could include damage to:

  • homes, sheds, businesses
  • cars, caravans, tractors
  • boats, jet skis, yachts
  • household items like televisions, laptops, lounges and bicycles.

Visit Bushfire Report for more information.

Road closure notices

Notices for state-owned road closures during the NSW bushfires (from August 2019 to January 2020) are available on the Transport for NSW website. These notices may be useful for lodging insurance claims. For closures of council-owned roads, please contact your local council.

Legal assistance

  • Disaster Response Legal Service offers free legal help if you are affected by bushfires and have problems with: 
    • insurance claims and disputes
    • credit, debt and financial hardship
    • eligibility for disaster relief and crisis payments
    • social security
    • housing and tenancy
    • employment
    • replacement of lost documents.

​​​​Call 1800 801 529 between 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday to speak to someone about your legal issues.