Text size


The NSW Government is providing one-off council rates relief for eligible residential and commercial ratepayers in the flood-impacted Northern Rivers region.

Eligible ratepayers in the following 7 highly impacted Northern Rivers local government areas and postcodes whose properties were directly impacted by the February and March 2022 storms and floods will receive council rates relief for the 2022–23 financial year:

Local government area Postcode
Ballina 2477, 2478, 2479, 2480
Byron 2479, 2480, 2481, 2482, 2483
Clarence Valley 2450, 2453, 2460, 2462, 2463, 2464, 2465, 2466, 2469
Kyogle 2469, 2470, 2474, 2475, 2476, 2480
Lismore 2471, 2472, 2477, 2480
Richmond Valley 2469, 2470, 2471, 2472, 2473, 2480
Tweed Shire 2483, 2484, 2485, 2486, 2487, 2488, 2489, 2490


  • Only land rates are included in the payment; fees for waste, water and sewerage are not included.
  • The 2022–23 financial year refers to July 2022 to June 2023.


To be eligible for rate relief, your residential, commercial or farm property must be located in one of the 7 highly impacted Northern Rivers local government areas.

Your property must also have been:

How to receive rate relief

You do not need to apply for this council rates relief.

Service NSW will make the rates payment directly to your local council on your behalf.

Eligible property owners will:

  • have the value of their financial year 2022–23 council rates credited to their rates notice by their local council
  • be notified by email or post that their council rates have been paid in full for the 2022–23 financial year.

If you'd like further information about this support, please call us on 13 77 88.


Service NSW will use existing personal information provided to us through eligible grant applications or property assessments for the purpose of administering this rate relief. Service NSW may disclose this information to your local council to confirm the applicable rate relief.

For details about how Service NSW collects, manages and stores personal information, how you can access and correct it, or how to make a privacy complaint, please visit Service NSW Privacy.


Last updated: 16 March 2023