A Birth Certificate is an official copy of the birth registration and is often used to help establish a person's identity. When you apply for a standard Birth Certificate, you also have the option to purchase a commemorative certificate to keep as a memento. You can apply online for a birth or adoption that occurred in NSW.Apply online
Apply for a Birth Certificate
- your personal and contact details
- a completed Birth Certificate Application form (online, in person or by mail)
- the details of the Birth Certificate required
- your personal identity documents as specified on the form
- a scanner or phone/tablet camera so you'll be able to upload the copies of your identity documents (if applying online), and
- a letter giving you permission to be provided with the Application for a Birth Certificate form (if applicable).
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Click the 'Apply online' button.
- Register or sign in to the NSW Government Licensing Service.
- Provide details of the birth.
- Enter the applicant's details.
- Enter the order details.
- Upload your 3 identification documents.
- Enter your payment information.
- Read and acknowledge the declaration.
- Submit your application for processing.
This application form can only be used if the birth occurred in NSW.
If you're the person to be named on the certificate, or a parent of the person to be named on the certificate, the birth certificate can be issued to you. You must provide 3 copies of your own identification.
If you're not the person to be named on the certificate, or a parent of the person to be named on the certificate, you must provide:
- a letter giving permission from the person named on the certificate or their parent, including their address, daytime telephone number and signature
- 3 copies of identification from the person giving permission, and
- 3 copies of your own identification.
If you're a solicitor applying for a certificate on behalf of your client, you must provide:
- a letter on company letterhead stating the reason required ('legal' is not sufficient – a specific reason is needed, such as Probate, Estate Administration), together with your client's name
- a completed application form
- a copy of your Law Society ID Card or Practising Certificate
- your name in the Applicant's Details section, and
- payment made by company or trust cheque, or company credit card.
- You can find out how much a new birth certificate will cost on the Births, Deaths and Marriages website
- If the birth occurred 100 or more years ago, you'll need to Order a Family History Certificate instead.
- Make sure that the copies of the documents you have scanned or photographed are clear and easy to read.
- Your certificate will be mailed using registered post, you can't get a certificate from a service centre.
- Check the turnaround times by visiting Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
- Turnaround times commence when applications are received in full compliance with Registry requirements, and exclude delivery time.
- If you change your mind, or decide the certificate is no longer required, your application fee will not be refunded.
- If you'd like your certificate to be faxed to an Australian passport office, consulate or embassy, you'll need to make that request at the same time as your application, as stand alone requests are not accepted. Please include a request letter if mailing your application.
- Make sure that you indicate which destination office you want the certificate faxed to.
- Certificates are not faxed to foreign embassies, work fax numbers or personal fax numbers.
- There is an additional payment attached to this request.
- If you wish to mail your completed form and documentation, you can send it to Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, GPO Box 30, Sydney NSW 2001.
- If you wish to apply in person, you can visit a Births Deaths & Marriages Registry Office or service centre
- To make sure that you have all the information and documentation you need to complete this transaction, please visit Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
- You can also post your application using this form Birth Certificate Application – PDF
This information is being collected by the Government Licensing Service on behalf of the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages for the purpose of assessing your Application for a Birth Certificate. The Government Licensing Service is operated by the Department of Finance and Services.
Service NSW does not collect or maintain any personal information in relation to this transaction.Apply online
For online or phone transactions, you can pay with:
- credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, or American Express).
For transactions in person at a service centre, you can pay with:
- cash (in Australian currency)
- cheque (personal, bank or agency drawn)
- money order, or
- credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, American Express* or EFTPOS).
Please note that you may need to pay a merchant fee when paying by credit or debit card.
* Unfortunately, some locations may not accept American Express.