COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. For assistance visit COVID-19.

Text size


If your company wants to do legal work in relation to property transactions such as a sale or lease of land, or the granting of a mortgage, you'll need to apply for a conveyancer's licence. You can do this online.

This licence requirement does not apply to an incorporated legal practice or solicitor corporation, such as a law firm.


To be eligible, each director of the corporation will need to:

The corporation will also need to:

  • have at least one director who holds a current, individual conveyancer licence
  • nominate a licensee in charge at each place of business who holds a current, individual conveyancer licence
  • be considered fit and proper to hold a licence
  • meet the mandatory insurance requirements
  • pay the relevant contribution to the Property Services Compensation Fund.

What you need

Proof of identity

Proof of identity documents may include:

  • Australian driver licence
  • Medicare card
  • Australian passport (accepted up to 3 years after expiry)
  • Australian birth certificate
  • Australian travel visa
  • Australian citizenship certificate
  • Australian certificate of registration by descent
  • ImmiCard
  • Health Care Card
  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
  • Veteran Gold Card
  • Veteran Pensioner Concession Card
  • Veteran Seniors Health Card.

How to apply

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Gather your certificates and other documents.
  3. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  4. Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
  5. Follow the prompts to apply for a conveyancer licence.

If you’re unable to apply online:

  1. Download, print and complete the application and other relevant forms.
  2. Make sure you have the required documentation, and then visit a service centre for assistance to submit your application.

More information

  • Licensed conveyancers must be covered by an approved policy of professional indemnity insurance when they work. A licensee can take out their own insurance policy, or they may be covered by their employer’s policy.
  • A person must not conduct a conveyancing business for fee or reward unless the person is the holder of a conveyancer's licence. (This does not apply to a person who is a solicitor or a barrister, or someone who conducts their conveyancing work in an incorporated legal practice, if the conveyancing work is overseen a barrister or solicitor.)

Payment methods

A list of payment options is available on our payment methods page.