If you'd like to buy, sell, exchange, let or lease real estate, or conduct real estate auctions, you'll need a real estate agent licence. This licence allows you to work with parcels of property less than 20 hectares. You can apply for this licence online.
What you'll need
- your personal details and business details
- a copy of your identity document (such as driver's licence, photo card, passport)
- evidence of your qualifications
- evidence of professional indemnity insurance
- business name registration from ASIC (if applicable)
- Notification of Partnership Particulars – PDF (if applicable)
- Licensee-in-Charge Details – PDF (if applicable)
- your interstate licence if operating outside NSW borders (if applicable).
How to apply
- Check the eligibility requirements.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Download, print and complete any applicable forms.
- Accept the Terms and Conditions.
- Select 'Start'.
- Sign in to, or create your OneGov account.
- Complete the online form.
- Attach all relevant documentation.
- Submit your application.
If you already hold a property licence and are applying for an additional licence:
- Complete the Property, stock and business agents: application for a licence (Individual) – PDF.
- Make sure you've attached all the required documents and filled in the payment details.
- Visit a service centre and submit your application.
To be eligible, you must:
- be aged 18 years or over
- be fit and proper to hold a licence
- have paid the relevant contribution to the Property Services Compensation Fund
- have successfully completed the real estate agent licence course – CPP40307 Certificate IV in Property Services
- have your principal place of work in NSW, or within 50 km of the NSW border.
Things to keep in mind...
- Although this licence allows you to conduct auctions, you must not act as an auctioneer unless you're an accredited auctioneer.
- If you're a company, then you need to apply for the real estate agent's licence – corporation.
- To deal with agricultural or rural properties, you'll need a stock and station agent licence (individual) or a stock and station agent licence (corporation).