When your personally imported vehicle has cleared customs, you need to drive it directly to a weighbridge (if it's a make and model not normally available in Australia), and/or a safety check station (AUVIS).

Registration is exempt on this journey, as long as you don't break the journey, or take the vehicle home (unless it's being transported on a trailer).

The AUVIS examiner will:

  • ensure the vehicle complies with minimum safety standards
  • complete the Personal Import Plate Order (included with your Vehicle Import Approval (VIA) documents).

A personally imported vehicle plate will be sent to you, which you must attach in accordance with the instructions supplied.

The vehicle then needs to be re-inspected at the AUVIS, before you can apply to register it.

What you need

  • VIA documentation
  • proof of entitlement to register the vehicle (bill of sale or overseas registration certificate, if applicable)
  • proof of identity documents
  • AUVIS inspection report
  • Compulsory Third Party policy receipt (green slip) with the number plate section left blank (except for trailers and caravans)
  • VSCCS Compliance Certificate (if applicable)
  • VIIU report (if applicable)
  • weighbridge ticket (if applicable)
  • business or organisation details (if applicable)
  • representative's authority (if being registered in the name of an organisation)
  • the PDF form – 'Application for Registration'.

How to apply

  1. Download and complete the Application for Registration – PDF.
  2. Make sure you have all the required documentation.
  3. Visit a service centre and lodge your application.

More information

You'll need to obtain your initial inspection reports from a heavy vehicle inspection station (HVAIS) rather than an AUVIS, if your personally imported vehicle is any of the following:

  • 5 tonnes tare mass or more
  • fitted with power-operated brakes
  • a trailer 2 tonnes GTM or more, or fitted with break-away brakes
  • a bus 2.5 tonnes tare mass or over
  • a prime-mover.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 23 March 2022