Visit our COVID-19 page for information and advice on the assistance available for NSW residents and businesses.


If you're employed in the security industry in NSW, you must hold a Class 1 or Class 2 security licence. You can hold more than one class and type of security activity on a single licence.

Class 1 security activities include:

  • 1A Unarmed Guard
  • 1B Bodyguard
  • 1C Crowd Controller
  • 1D Guard Dog Handler
  • 1E Monitoring Centre Operator, and/or
  • 1F Armed Guard.

Class 2 security activities include:

  • 2A Security Consultant
  • 2B Security Seller
  • 2C Security Equipment Specialist, and/or
  • 2D Security Trainer.


You must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • be a fit and proper person to hold the class of licence sought
  • be employed by a master licensee, or hold a master licence of your own
  • have enrolled into, or successfully completed the relevant units of competency for the class(es) of licence sought
  • be competent to carry out the security activity to which the proposed licence relates
  • have Australian work rights
  • hold a Transport for NSW:
    • driver licence, or
    • customer number.

Note: Refer to Am I eligible for a NSW security licence? – PDF for the complete eligibility and application requirements.

What you need

  • your personal details
  • evidence of Australian work rights – if you're not an Australian/New Zealand citizen or permanent Australian resident, you'll need to provide:
    • a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more over the previous 10 years, since turning 16
    • each certificate must be translated into English (if necessary) and verified by the relevant country’s embassy/consulate in Australia
    • each certificate must have been issued within 12 months prior to the application being lodged.
  • a current credit card for your payment (Schedule of Fees – PDF).

In addition:

For Class 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1F applicants:

For Class 2A, 2D applicants:

  • evidence of the required training and experience as specified on the SLED website.

If you've enrolled in training, but not yet completed the required units of competency, you have 42 days from your application date to submit certified copies of your training and assessment qualifications, via email to, or post to SLED, Locked Bag 5099, Parramatta, NSW 2124.

Note: Ensure all documentation that shows your name, has it written and spelt in exactly the same way. If you have changed your name you must provide approved change of name documentation.

How to apply

  1. Gather all your digital/scanned documentation, and have it ready for uploading. You cannot save and resume your application once you have started.
  2. Check you meet all the eligibility requirements.
  3. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  4. Confirm you have Australian work rights.
  5. Select 'Start'.
  6. Log in or create an account.
  7. Complete the online form.
  8. Upload your supporting documents.
  9. Enter your payment details.
  10. Read and acknowledge the declaration.
  11. Review and submit your application.
  12. Once you've submitted your application you'll receive an email confirmation and payment receipt.

Note: The application process takes approximately 6 weeks. If there are any irregularities, omissions or errors identified in your application, it may take longer.

More information

  • Documents must be certified by an authorised person such as a:

    • Justice of the Peace
    • Legal Practitioner, or
    • Notary Public.
  • Acceptable change of name documents include:
    • marriage certificate(s) issued by the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages or, if you were married elsewhere, a certified copy of the marriage certificate issued by the celebrant or church
    • change of name certificate issued by the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages
    • full birth certificate showing your name at birth and your new name (extracts and commemorative certificates are NOT acceptable)
    • divorce decree
    • deed poll registered with the relevant authority
    • evidence of a change of name registered in the Land Titles Office.
  • If your application is withdrawn you'll receive a refund of fees minus the processing fee of $120.00.
  • Once a licence has been issued there are no provisions for a refund of fees.
You'll be taken to another website.