The Seniors Energy Rebate is available for eligible independent retirees to help cover the cost of their electricity.
To be eligible you need to hold a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card (CSHC).
CSHCs are means-tested concession cards issued by Services Australia and the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA).
The Seniors Energy Rebate is $200 per household, per financial year.
If your application is successful, the rebate will be paid directly into your nominated bank or Credit Union account.
Note: Gas accounts are not eligible for the rebate.
To be eligible you must:
- be a NSW resident
- have a valid CSHC from Centrelink or the DVA
- be the primary account holder named on the electricity bill
- be applying for the rebate for your primary place of residence.
What you need
- a MyServiceNSW Account
- your valid CSHC from Centrelink or the DVA
- the most recent electricity bill for your current primary place of residence
- your contact details
- your bank or Credit Union account details.
How to apply
- Check you meet the eligibility requirements.
- Select the 'Apply online' button.
- Log in, or create your MyServiceNSW Account.
- Enter the required details.
- Submit the application.
If you're unable to apply online, visit a service centre or call us on 13 77 88.
If your application is successful, you'll receive payment within 5 working days into your nominated bank/Credit Union account. Service NSW will contact you if there are problems issuing your payment.
If your application is unsuccessful, you'll be notified during the application process.
- The name on the application must match the details of both the:
- CSHC holder, and
- electricity account holder.
- The primary residential address of the CSHC holder and the address where the electricity is being supplied must be the same.
- A household can only receive one Seniors Energy Rebate each financial year (even if more than one eligible retiree lives at the same address).
- Rebates are paid directly into the nominated bank/credit union account.
- The application and rebate is processed by Service NSW, not your electricity supplier.
- Your Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN) is on your CSHC. If you can’t find your CRN, contact Centrelink on 1300 169 468.
- If you’ve already applied for the rebate for the current financial year, the system will advise you that your CRN has already been used. If you believe there’s an error, please call Service NSW on 13 77 88.
- Your National Metering Identifier (NMI) number is on your electricity bill. It’s a unique 10 or 11 digit number and usually starts with a ‘4’.
- The rebate is not automatically applied each financial year. You need to reapply if you want to receive it the following year.