The Seniors Energy Rebate helps independent retirees who hold a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card cover the cost of their electricity bills. The $200 rebate is paid once each financial year to eligible households.  

Note: Approved applicants will receive the rebate from October 2019. 
Pensioners and veterans can apply for the Low Income Household Rebate. 


You can apply for the Seniors Energy Rebate if you:

  • are an independent retiree and NSW resident
  • have a valid Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
  • are the account holder, or one of the account holders, named on the electricity bill.

What you need

  • your Commonwealth Seniors Health Card details
  • the electricity account National Meter Identifier (NMI) – this can be found on your electricity bill
  • your personal, contact and bank details.

How to apply

  1. Check you meet the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Apply online' button.
  3. Enter the required details.
  4. Submit the application.

Centrelink will verify your Commonwealth Seniors Health Card details and you’ll receive an update from October 2019. 

More information

  • The name on the application needs to match the details of the:
    • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card holder
    • electricity account holder. 
  • The primary residential address and the address where the electricity is being supplied need to be the same.
  • A household can only receive one Seniors Energy Rebate each year (even if more than one independent retiree live at the same address).
  • Rebates will be paid directly into a bank account.
  • Gas accounts are not eligible for the rebate.
  • The application and rebate will be processed by Service NSW, not your electricity supplier.