Quite often it's not until people are about to stop work that they start thinking about their retirement. But now that many of us living into our 80s and 90s, we might spend 2 or 3 decades in retirement – that's a major portion of our life.

So it’s never too early to start thinking about how we want to shape our non-working future.

Getting paperwork organised

Planning for retirement is a good time to start getting your personal documents in order. Having them all stored together in a safe place saves you so much time when you're called on to provide them.

Birth certificate​​​​
Your birth certificate can be used as proof of your identity in many instances such as applying for government benefits, getting a passport or getting a driver licence.

Marriage certificate
The marriage certificate is an official copy of the marriage registration held at the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages. They're often used to help establish your identity.

Change of name certificate
If your circumstances have changed and you need to change your name with Medicare, the ATO, banks, licences, your passport and the like, you'll be required to provide a change of name certificate from the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages.

Resume your online certificate application (birth, death, marriage, change of name)
You can save your online application and resume it at a later date if you wish.

Check the status of your online certificate application (birth, death, marriage, change of name)
You're able to check how your application is progressing, online.

Apply for a registered relationship certificate
Registered relationship certificates can be used to access entitlements, services and records under State legislation.

Request a proof of divorce order
You can request a search of the records of the Family Court of Australia and the Federal Circuit Court of Australia to confirm a divorce was granted and finalised.

Apply for a single status certificate
A single status certificate verifies that you've not been married in NSW during a specified period of time.

Apply for a passport
Australian citizens 18 years of age or over can apply for their passport online.

Renew a passport
If your Australian passport is still current, or expired less than 3 years ago, you may be eligible to begin the renewal process online.

Planning ahead documents

We take it for granted that we have the capacity to make our own decisions. But that capacity can be affected by illness, injury or age. Making important decisions while we can, and deciding in advance who we'd like to make decisions for us if we're not able to, is an essential part of planning ahead.

Get started making a will
A will tells everybody how you want the things you own distributed when you die. Wills are not just for people who have plenty of money or assets.

Get started making a power of attorney
You appoint a power of attorney to make financial decisions on your behalf.
A general power of attorney is usually for a specific period of time, or for a specific purpose.
An enduring power of attorney is the one you appoint to make financial decisions for you if you can no longer make them yourself.

Appoint an enduring guardian
You appoint an enduring guardian to make lifestyle decisions for you. It's up to you what powers or functions you give your enduring guardian.

Make an Advanced Care Directive (living will)
Medical technology advances mean that there are now treatments that can prolong your life and keep you alive when you're seriously ill or injured. Some people have firm ideas about how they want to live out their life, and may find certain conditions unacceptable.

Store your planning ahead documents in Will Safe
Wills and other planning ahead documents are no good to anyone if they can't be found when they're needed. Having a secure place to store them is essential.

Funding your retirement

Finding lost money
Millions of dollars are waiting to be claimed from inactive bank accounts, shares and investments, insurance policies, unpaid wages, unclaimed super, and deceased estates.

Net worth calculator
This calculator balances what you own with what you owe to help you see how strong your present financial situation is.

Super contributions optimiser 
Work out the best way to grow your superannuation nest egg.

Retirement planner
The retirement planner tool shows you how super contributions, investment options, fees and retirement age affect how much income from super you'll get in retirement.

Super and pension age calculator
This calculator helps you work out when you can get your super, and when you can apply for the age pension, if applicable

When and how to access your super
You can access your super when you reach your 'preservation age'. This is the minimum age, set by law, that your super must be 'preserved' until. You can then access it as a regular pension, a lump sum or a combination of both.


Check the Transport for NSW benefits available for pensioners
Transport for NSW offers many products free of charge to eligible pensioners, such as licences, regos, driving tests and Photo Cards.

Pensioner water rebate
If you're an owner-occupier and receive a government pension you may qualify for a rebate on your water bill.

Apply for a NSW Seniors Card or NSW Senior Savers Card
There are 2 types of Seniors Card available for the over 60's in NSW. Both cards are free and give you discounts and special offers at over 7,400 businesses across NSW.

Apply for a new pensioner refund on a Mobility Parking Scheme permit
If you have a Mobility Parking Scheme permit and become a pensioner while holding the permit, you could be eligible for a partial refund.

Register your concession card to access Pensioner Travel Vouchers
Pensioner Travel Vouchers provide free or discounted travel in economy class on NSW TrainLink Regional services within regional NSW. You can use the vouchers for 2 return or 4 single trips.

Apply for a carer's registration refund
Carers who receive the Commonwealth Carer Allowance may be eligible for a refund on some of the vehicle tax they pay when registering their vehicle.

Apply for the Seniors Energy Rebate
The Seniors Energy Rebate helps self-funded retirees who hold a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card cover the cost of their electricity bills.

Apply for an E-Toll/Easy Toll account concession
Certain concessions are available for concession card holders on new or existing E-Toll or Easy Toll accounts

Last updated: 25 September 2023