When your personally imported vehicle has cleared customs, you need to drive it directly to a weighbridge (if it's a make and model not normally available in Australia), and/or an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Scheme (AUVIS) station.

Registration is exempt on this journey, as long as you don't break the journey, or take the vehicle home (unless it's being transported on a trailer).

The AUVIS examiner will:

  • ensure the vehicle complies with minimum safety standards
  • complete the Personal Import Plate Order (included with your Vehicle Import Approval (VIA) documents).

A personally imported vehicle plate will be sent to you, which you must attach in accordance with the instructions supplied.

The vehicle then needs to be re-inspected at the AUVIS station, before you can apply to register it.

What you need

  • VIA documentation
  • proof of entitlement to register the vehicle (bill of sale or overseas registration certificate, if applicable)
  • proof of identity documents
  • AUVIS inspection report
  • compulsory third party (CTP) insurance receipt (green slip) with the number plate section left blank (except for trailers and caravans)
  • Vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Scheme (VSCCS) compliance certificate (if applicable)
  • Vehicle Identity & Inspections Unit (VIIU) report (if applicable)
  • weighbridge ticket (if applicable)
  • business or organisation details (if applicable)
  • representative's authority (if being registered in the name of an organisation)
  • the PDF form – 'Application for Registration'.

How to apply

  1. Download and complete the Application for Registration – PDF.
  2. Make sure you have all the required documentation.
  3. Visit a Service NSW Centre and lodge your application.

More information

You'll need to obtain your initial inspection reports from a Heavy Vehicle Inspection Scheme (HVAIS) station rather than an AUVIS station, if your personally imported vehicle is any of the following:

  • 5 tonnes tare mass or more
  • fitted with power-operated brakes
  • a trailer 2 tonnes GTM or more, or fitted with break-away brakes
  • a bus 2.5 tonnes tare mass or over
  • a prime-mover.

Payment methods

You can review transaction payment options on our payment methods page.

Last updated: 22 February 2024