Text size


When you sell or dispose of a NSW-registered vehicle, you must submit your notice of disposal (NOD) to Transport for NSW, as soon as possible.

This avoids you being held responsible for the new owner's parking or driving offences.

You can submit your NOD online. Please do so within 14 days, so the new owner can also transfer the vehicle's rego online, without incurring a late fee.

In certain circumstances, a paper form needs to be submitted, so check the eligibility requirements.


Sometimes it's not possible to submit a notice of disposal online. You'll need to submit a paper form if any of the following apply:

  • you're disposing of the vehicle on behalf of a company or organisation
  • you don't have a NSW Driver Licence or Photo Card
  • the new owner or operator doesn't have a NSW Driver Licence
  • the buyer is an interstate motor dealer who doesn't have a NSW motor dealer licence number.

What you need

  • the vehicle's NSW registration plate number
  • your NSW driver licence or Photo Card details
  • the new owner's NSW driver licence details, or the NSW motor dealer's licence number
  • the sale date (known as the date of disposal)
  • the sale price or market value of the vehicle (whichever is higher)
  • a MyServiceNSW Account (optional).

How to submit

  1. Check the eligibility requirements.
  2. Select the 'Submit online' button.
  3. Choose to use either your driver licence or Photo Card details, or log into your MyServiceNSW Account. Enter your NSW driver licence or Photo Card details if you're creating a MyServiceNSW Account.
  4. Enter the NSW plate number of the vehicle. If you're logged into your MyServiceNSW Account, you'll be able to choose the plate number from the list of eligible registered vehicles.
  5. Enter the disposal details.
  6. Enter the new owner's details.
  7. Check and confirm your notice of disposal.
  8. Read and accept the Terms and Conditions.
  9. Print the receipt or send it to an email address.

If you're not able to submit online:

  1. Download and complete the Notice of Disposal – PDF.
  2. Submit the completed PDF form by either:
  • visiting a service centre in person
  • mailing it to:
    Service NSW
    PO Box 21
    Parkes NSW 2870.

More information

  • The paper copy of the NOD is labelled 'Part A Notice of Disposal' on the back of the vehicle's rego certificate.
  • The new owner can only transfer the registration online once you've submitted your notice of disposal.
  • If you have an E-tag account, please contact your toll provider to remove the registration plate number from your account or you will be liable for the new owner's tolls.
Last updated: 15 December 2022