Purpose of collection
We collect, use and disclose your personal information so that you can use your MyServiceNSW Account on the Service NSW website or the mobile app to perform transactions with us or our partner agencies.
A partner agency is any Commonwealth, state or local government agency or other organisation that Service NSW may partner with to deliver a service.
You can use a MyServiceNSW Account to:
- check and renew your licences and registrations
- apply for vouchers, rebates and other services
- perform online transactions with us or our partner agencies, including identity verification
- switch to digital notifications for your services and updates
- find details about your services without having to call or wait in line.
This collection notice applies to the personal information we collect when you register and use a MyServiceNSW Account or an Assisted MyServiceNSW Account.
Businesses have the option to create a Business profile within their MyServiceNSW Account and should also refer to the Making Business Easier collection notice for more information.
For more information on your rights and responsibilities as a user of the MyServiceNSW Account, go to the MyServiceNSW Account terms and conditions.
What information we collect
When you create a MyServiceNSW Account, you will be asked to provide the following information:
- your email address
- a password
- your mobile number (optional).
Creating a MyServiceNSW Account and providing these details is voluntary. However, you cannot create a MyServiceNSW Account without an email or a password.
During the account creation process we will temporarily record your personal information including your email address and mobile number (if provided) for up to one hour to allow you to confirm those details.
If you do not complete the account creation process, your personal information including your email address, mobile number and password will not be retained and any temporary records will be deleted after one hour.
Once you complete the account creation process your personal information will be retained and stored.
Once you have a MyServiceNSW Account you may choose to include additional personal information in your Account.
You can also add information to your Account when performing a transaction or service with us. This may include personal information such as your name, residential address and mailing address, services you have received, as well as details from your proof of identity documents, if you choose to save those for future use.
If you do not have an email address you will not be able to create a MyServiceNSW Account without our help.
When an Assisted MyServiceNSW Account is created for you, you'll be asked to provide the following information:
- your full name
- your residential address
- your mobile number (optional).
How we use or disclose information
We may use and disclose personal information in your MyServiceNSW Account to assist you perform transactions with us or a partner agency.
For example, this may include to:
- help you to pre-complete online forms
- verify your identity
- enable you to complete transactions or access services delivered by us or by another NSW government agency
- add a service (or transaction) involving another NSW government agency to your Account and/or Service NSW Mobile App
- identify and assist you when our customer service team is helping you to perform administration on your MyServiceNSW Account, or to carry out transactions on your behalf
- help you share personal information with other NSW government agencies to make it easier for you to update your contact details across different services at the same time
- assist you to perform administration on your MyServiceNSW Account (for example, we may send you a security code in order to reset your password).
We also use your contact details to send information relevant to you. This may include to:
- contact you and provide information relevant to transactions you have performed, or products that you hold, such as a driver licence or vehicle registration (for example, if you renew your registration we will send you a receipt)
- contact you with important information about your MyServiceNSW Account or information we hold about you (for example, when relevant to your privacy or the security of your information)
- send you general communications material or information sent by us or by our partner agencies
- send you information to help prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to life or health, or where we are otherwise authorised or required to do so by law.
You can find more information on how to manage some of these notifications in the Communication preferences section.
We will ask for your consent for most other secondary uses or disclosures. For example, in some cases we can also make updating and providing your information easier, by sharing your information with different NSW Government agencies if you consent.
You can choose not to receive some notifications or messages from us through your MyServiceNSW Account Notification preferences. This includes general communications material or information sent by us or by our partner agencies.
These communications will contain information relating to Service NSW products or services, though may contain other relevant information from government agencies or partners.
There are some notifications or messages that you cannot opt-out of. For example, when it directly relates to a transaction you have performed with us or when it is relevant to your privacy or the security of your personal information.
We may also send you information to help prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to life or health, or where we are otherwise authorised or required to do so by law.
If you have a Business profile linked to your MyServiceNSW Account you will also need to refer to the Business profile collection notice. This will provide you with more information about how your personal information is handled when we communicate with through your Business profile.
Verifying your identity
Your MyServiceNSW Account can be used to verify your identity for when you apply for and/or add services to your account.
To do this we collect personal information from your identity documents.
We disclose this information to the document issuer or official record holder for the purposes of verifying the documents against the records of Australian Government and state and territory government agencies. This may include the Document Verification Service, provided by the Department of Home Affairs, or Services Australia for Department of Veteran Affairs card holders.
If you provide information using your MyServiceNSW Account to prove your identity to carry out a specific transaction, you can save this information to your MyServiceNSW Account for future use. This is optional.
Protecting your information
We take reasonable security measures to protect your personal information from loss, unauthorised access, use, modification, disclosure, or other misuse.
Physical measures, such as building and equipment security, are used in conjunction with digital technology, such as data encryption and firewalls, to minimise unauthorised access to information.
We ensure that personal information is not kept longer than necessary, and disposed of appropriately, in accordance with the law.
We retain a record of transactions performed using your MyServiceNSW Account for audit and other purposes. This includes to identify and investigate suspicious or inappropriate use of a MyServiceNSW Account.
You can view a summary of some of the transactions performed with your MyServiceNSW Account by visiting your Activity History.
If you are concerned about something in your Activity History, contact us. We investigate all issues reported to us.
What information you are required by law to provide to us
Creating a MyServiceNSW Account and providing your personal information is voluntary. You are not required by law to provide this information to us.
However, if you choose not to provide us with the requested information, you may not be able to create a MyServiceNSW Account or access some government services.
Access and correction of your information
You can access, review or correct your personal information by:
- logging into your MyServiceNSW Account and reviewing and correcting your information contained in your profile, or
- if you are unable to log in to you MyServiceNSW Account you should contact Service NSW on 13 77 88 for assistance.
Read more information about how Service NSW handles your personal information. This includes how:
- you can access and seek correction of the information
- privacy enquiries or complaints can be made
- information is securely stored and to contact us.
Service NSW is located at 2-24 Rawson Place, Sydney NSW 2000.