Office of Emergency Management

The NSW Office of Emergency Management (OEM) provides a range of immediate disaster relief assistance including:

  • evacuation centre information
  • information about the rebates, grants and loans that are available
  • OEM disaster relief grant applications that include:
    • grants for replacing essential household contents
    • grants for essential structural repairs.
  • information about making insurance claims
  • links to mental health assistance.

Visit the NSW Office of Emergency Management for more information.

Disaster Welfare Assistance Points 

Disaster Welfare Assistance Points (DWAPs) offer help for bushfire-affected people with their immediate needs.

You can access:

  • Disaster Relief grants and assessments
  • Red Cross
  • Disaster Recovery chaplains
  • Salvation Army
  • Anglicare and more.

Open from Monday 18 November

Glen Innes

265 Grey Street, Glen Innes 
9am to 5pm


42 Victoria Street, Grafton
9am to 5pm


Senior Citizens, 39 Princess Street, Macksville 
9am to 3pm


68 Wynter Street, Taree 
9am to 5pm


Willawarrin Community Hall
9am to 11am

Vehicle registrations, licences and number plates

  • Registration and licensing concessions and refunds will be offered to customers if their vehicle or other relevant documentation has been lost, damaged or destroyed during the NSW bush fires.
  • Replacement cards (driver licences, NSW Photo Cards or MPS cards) will be issued if cards have been lost or damaged.
  • NSW Photo Cards are posted to customers generally within 5 business days.
  • Driver licence holders will receive a receipt which will act as a temporary licence for a period of 30 days until their photocard arrives in the post.
    • Please note:
      • If you cannot get to a service centre and an Australia Post service is available, you may be able to request a replacement licence using a Photo Kit form.
      • If you cannot get to a service centre or an Australia Post, you may request a free interim driver licence receipt over the phone.
      • In some situations, you may be able to renew your licence over the phone. Call 13 22 13, or 13 77 88 for more information.
  • Simplified proof of identity requirements are available where identity documents may have been destroyed.
  • For number plates lost or destroyed as a result of the bush fires, customers must provide a completed Number Plate Form – PDF at a service centre, in order to reapply for plates. If applicable, there will also be:
    • a waiver of the 6-month waiting period for the issue of replacement plates with the same content
    • a waiver of reissue, remake and hold fees
    • no necessity to provide a police Event Number if applying for a reissue or remake of number plates.
  • Some other registration fees may also be waived or refunded.

For more information, visit the Natural disasters and emergencies - customer assistance policy at the Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) website.

Vessel registrations, boat and PWC licences

  • Free replacement of vessel certificate of registration documents, including labels.
  • Replacement cards (boat and PWC licences) will be issued for free. Cards are posted to a nominated address however you'll be issued with an interim paper licence on the spot. (PWC licences also require 2 passport photos).
  • Some other vessel registration fees (including transfer, cancellation or late renewal) may also be waived or refunded.

Birth, Marriage or Change of Name certificates

Birth, Marriage or Change of Name certificates that have been destroyed due to the bush fires can be reissued at no charge at your nearest service centre


The $40 tag security deposit/s on an RMS E-Toll tag will be waived if your tag has been lost, damaged or destroyed during the recent bush fires.

NSW Fair Trading licences and permits

Free replacement of the following licences, permits or certificates that have been destroyed or lost during the bush fires:

  • home building:
    • contractor
    • qualified supervisor
    • tradesperson.
  • property and real estate
  • motor vehicle dealer or repairers
  • pawnbrokers and second hand dealers
  • tattoo parlour or tattooist
  • owner builder permits
  • tow truck.

To apply for a replacement card use the Application for a Duplicate Licence, Certificate or Permit – PDF, and note on the form that the reason for the card replacement is that it was lost in the bush fires. Also provide the home address if it is different to your nominated address.

  • Free Owner Builder Permit where you opt to rebuild or repair your home damaged or destroyed by a bush fire (all other standard requirements and associated development approvals apply).

For further assistance visit your nearest service centre or call 13 77 88

Revenue NSW, motor vehicle stamp duty and fines

  • If your motor vehicle was written off in a declared natural disaster the NSW government may be able to refund any motor vehicle duty you pay on a replacement vehicle.
  • Revenue NSW may also be able to:
    • give you more time to lodge any documents or returns
    • defer enforcing any fines against you
    • extend your payment deadlines
    • agree not to charge you interest
    • arrange for you to pay any debts to us in instalments.

More information can be found on the Revenue NSW website.


Service NSW is supporting the Red Cross Disaster Relief and Recovery. To donate, please call 1800 811 700 or make a donation online.

Your donation enables Red Cross to help affected communities recover from emergencies and provide stocks of critical disaster response equipment including water filtration, shelter, hygiene and cooking kits for use in emergencies.

General Advice

For the latest information related to current NSW bush fires, continue to monitor your local radio stations or go to: