COVID-19 update: If you are planning to go into a Service Centre, check the opening times before you visit. 

Our online transactions are available 24/7. For assistance visit COVID-19.

Text size

Clean-up help and waste removal

Clean-up assistance is available for all flood-impacted households, businesses, not-for-profit organisations and primary producers, regardless of insurance status, to:

  • remove primary producer waste, hazardous waste, cars or caravans
  • demolish destroyed or structurally unsafe structures that required licensed demolition contractors
  • pump out of septic tanks, swimming pools etc.
  • remove bulky items that may not have been able to be removed through the initial clean-up phase by Immediate Relief Teams due to size or access issues
  • remove certain large trees, including those that have not fallen, but are assessed by suitably qualified professionals as dangerous.

If you’re in a disaster-declared area (AGRN 954 or 960), contact your local council for assistance or call us on 13 77 88.

Animal carcasses

Carcasses should be handled as little as possible.

Appropriate personal protective equipment should be worn when handling a carcass, including gloves, leather or rubber boots, clothes that cover exposed skin, eye protection and a P2 face mask. Avoid contact with any body fluids from the dead animal.

If you need assistance with carcass disposal, call us on 13 77 88 or contact your local council.


Removal of loose or friable asbestos or amounts of bonded asbestos sheeting greater than 10 square metres must be done by a licensed person. You can find an accredited asbestos removalist via the Asbestos Removal Contractors Association (02) 8586 3555.

For advice on removal, disposal, and transport of asbestos waste materials call the Office of Environment and Heritage Pollution Line on 131 555 or visit Asbestos and health risks.

Hazardous waste removal

Hazardous waste includes materials such as:

  • acids and alkalis

  • brake fluids and coolants, car care products

  • cleaning products

  • paint, polishes, varnishes, stains

  • solvents (including paint thinners, turpentine)

  • pesticides, insecticides, rodenticides, herbicides and other garden chemicals

  • pool chemicals.

Hazardous materials must be set aside for specialist disposal as directed by your local council.

Community Recycling Centres take household problem waste for free.

Visit NSW EPA to find your nearest centre and for full details on what you can drop off.

Health advice on cleaning up

For health advice on cleaning up your household, visit:

Waste levy fee waived

In declared natural disaster areas across NSW, the NSW Government has waived the waste levy fee:

  • for residents disposing of building materials, furniture and any other flood-generated waste cleared from private or public land
  • at relevant facilities within the local government area where the natural disaster declaration applies.

The waste levy fee exemption applies until 31 March 2022. If you require a further extension, you can submit a request to the NSW EPA.

Check with your local council for details of local facilities, as well as for any specific requirements to dispose of flood-damaged waste.


Find your local council

Waste levy exemptions – NSW EPA

Natural disaster declarations

Asbestos and demolition licence holders