Text size

Clean-up support

If your property has been severely damaged or is not suitable to live in because of a natural disaster, contact your local council. They will let you know what clean-up support is available to you.

Clean-up support can be for a residential or business property.

Waste levy fee waived

In declared natural disaster areas across NSW, the NSW Government has waived the waste levy fee:

  • for residents disposing of building materials, furniture and any other flood-generated waste cleared from private or public land

  • at relevant facilities within the local government area where the natural disaster declaration applies.

Find out about requirements to dispose of flood-damaged waste and a list of councils that have waived the waste levy fee.

Health advice on cleaning up

Visit the NSW Health website for advice on cleaning up safely and maintaining health during and after floods and storms.

Electricity, gas and water supply

If your gas, electricity or water supply is damaged or disconnected, do not attempt to reconnect the service yourself.

Only licensed builders, tradespeople and contractors should check and reconnect services and do any repair work associated with:

  • asbestos contamination

  • demolition of structures

  • electrical wiring, plumbing, drainage, gasfitting

  • air conditioners and solar energy panels.

To check a builder, tradesperson or related licence, see Check a builder or tradesperson licence.

Hazardous waste removal

Hazardous waste includes materials such as:

  • acids and alkalis

  • brake fluids and coolants, car care products

  • cleaning products

  • paint, polishes, varnishes, stains

  • solvents (including paint thinners, turpentine)

  • pesticides, insecticides, rodenticides, herbicides and other garden chemicals

  • pool chemicals.

Hazardous materials must be set aside for specialist disposal as directed by your local council.

Community Recycling Centres take household problem waste for free.

To find your nearest centre and for full details on what you can drop off, visit NSW EPA.

Asbestos removal

When removing any amount of asbestos, it is recommended that you always use a licensed asbestos removalist.

Find a local asbestos and demolition licence holder.

Learn more about asbestos hazards and safe handling.

Animal carcasses

Animals that have died should be handled as little as possible. Avoid contact with any body fluids from the dead animal.

Find out more about managing animals after a flood.

Related information

Last updated: 2 February 2023