Usually we can't choose our neighbours but it's in our best interests of course, to get along. Sometimes issues arise however, so we've gathered together transactions and links that you may find helpful.


Alternative dispute resolution (ADR)

Alternative dispute resolution offers processes other than having a decision made by a judge or magistrate in court.

Disputes with neighbours

Having a bad relationship or dispute with a neighbour can make life very stressful. No one wants to feel uncomfortable or unsafe in their own home. You can find out more about issues regarding:

Lodge a residential tenancy complaint with NSW Fair Trading

NSW Fair Trading provides a free complaint service for tenants, residents, landlords and agents with real estate and property related matters or disputes.

Lodge a retirement village complaint with NSW Fair Trading

NSW Fair Trading offers free and informal onsite negotiation with a neutral and qualified mediator to help parties reach a beneficial settlement.

Resolve a strata dispute

Find information on how to resolve disputes among owners, tenants and owner's corporations in strata-titled property or community schemes.


Check the 10/50 vegetation clearing entitlement area

The 10/50 Vegetation Clearing Scheme provides an additional way for NSW residents who live near bushland, to better prepare their homes for potential bushfires. The NSW Rural Fire Service provides an online tool so you can check whether you live in a 10/50 vegetation clearing entitlement area.

Fences – your rights and obligations

Understand your rights and obligations with dividing boundary fences between neighbours.

Register a swimming pool

All swimming pools in NSW must be registered on the NSW Swimming Pool Register.

Removing trees on your property

The rules regarding tree removal differ from council to council, but tree preservation orders and local environment plans guide many of the decisions made.

Tree and hedge disputes

Find out how to work through tree and hedge disputes between you and your neighbours.

Local roads

Report a parking sign 

If you see a damaged, confusing or missing road sign, you can report it online.

Report a pothole or damaged road

Use this form to report road damage in your area to Transport for NSW.

Report a traffic breakdown or other incident

Reporting traffic incidents help you and your fellow road users get moving again, sooner.

Neighbourhood watch

1800RESPECT counselling service 

A 24 hour telephone and online counselling and support for people impacted by sexual assault, domestic or family violence, and abuse.

Access the NSW Police Force Community Portal 

The NSW Police Force Community Portal is a reporting channel for the community if the issue is not an emergency and immediate investigation by a Police officer is not necessary.

Find out about unattended property laws

Public spaces such as footpaths, streets and parks should be safe and accessible for everyone. Find out about property left in public spaces.

Lodge feedback about speed limits and speed signs in NSW

The Centre for Road Safety uses feedback submitted by the public, along with crash data and other road safety engineering information, to prioritise the roads that need a speed zone review.

Report graffiti to the NSW Graffiti Hotline

Help clean up your local community by reporting graffiti and fast track its removal.

Report identity theft, scams or cybercrime

If you've been scammed, think someone is trying to scam you, or have been the victim of a cybercrime, you can make a report online.

Report illegal fishing

Stealing fish and black marketing, as well as damage to fish habitats are serious problems and can impact on the sustainability of our fish stocks across NSW.

Report an incident to Crime Stoppers 

You can report information about crime and criminal activity.

Report intentional damage or graffiti

The NSW Police Force Community Portal provides the facility to not only create a Police report online, but to track your report and receive electronic status updates.

Neighbourhood Watch NSW

The Neighbourhood Watch program is one of a range of crime prevention and community safety strategies currently in use within NSW.


Report a nuisance dog or cat

Dogs and cats can become nuisances for reasons including boredom, separation anxiety and fear. If your neighbour's dog or cat is bothering you, the first step is to talk with the neighbour. They may be unaware of the problem.

Register your dog or cat

The NSW Pet Registry allows you to update your contact details, report your pet missing, change the ownership of pets, and pay the lifetime registration fee.

Pets in strata

An owner's corporation cannot stop you from owning a pet in a strata-titled property, but there may be rules you need to know about, and what to do if there's a problem.   


Report an abandoned or dumped vehicle

It's an offence to abandon a vehicle. The local council has powers to impound or destroy the vehicle if the registered operator cannot be found or doesn't comply with the instructions of the impounding officer.

Report or inquire about noise pollution

Noise pollution can come from many sources including industry, transport, construction, sporting and entertainment venues, and neighbours. If you want to report or inquire about noise pollution, contact the organisation responsible for its regulation.

Report littering from a vehicle

If you see someone littering from their vehicle, you can report them to the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA).

Report or inquire about noise pollution

You can report issues with noise pollution that is at a sound level that is annoying, distracting or physically harmful.

Report a pest or disease, or other biosecurity concern

You can help to protect NSW from biosecurity concerns by reporting unusual pests and diseases to the Department of Primary Industries.

Report smoking or e-cigarette use in a smoke-free place

Smoking and using e-cigarettes are banned in all enclosed public areas including shopping centres, cinemas, libraries, and public transport as well as some outdoor public places. If you think a smoking ban has been broken in an indoor or outdoor smoke-free zone, you can make a complaint

Report a smoky vehicle

You must observe a vehicle emitting smoke for more than 10 seconds continuously to make a report.

Last updated: 6 May 2024

Rate the information on the page