Emergency accommodation

Temporary emergency accommodation for those that have no other means is available by visiting a recovery centre or by calling 13 77 88.


If you are homeless or at risk of homelessness and need immediate accommodation, please contact Link2Home on 1800 152 152.


Anglicare provides assistance through emergency housing, homelessness support and food relief.

If you've been affected by a natural disaster you can:

Temporary accommodation

Temporary housing sites are being constructed at various locations in the Northern Rivers area of NSW for people who have had their homes affected by floods and storms. These sites will consist of modular homes (also called pods) and caravans.

    Ongoing accommodation

    Social housing

    If you need private rental assistance, social housing or help with understanding your rights as a tenant:

    Tenants, landlords and homeowners

    You can call 13 32 20 for assistance if you're:

    • a tenant or landlord whose rented property is affected by the floods
    • a homeowner with a complaint about tradespeople and their flood remediation home building work
    • impacted by flood-related issues, such as cancelled accommodation, weddings and services.

    For more information, visit Floods and Tenancy Rights and Tenants' Union Disaster Damage.

    Providing private temporary accommodation

    If you want to provide additional or temporary accommodation on your property, find out about changes to planning rules for:


    If you are planning to rebuild, learn more about changes to the rules including:

    Resilient Homes Program

    Financial assistance will be available to homeowners in high-risk flood areas in the Ballina, Byron, Clarence Valley, Kyogle, Lismore, Richmond Valley, and Tweed local government areas. 

    Eligible homeowners impacted by the February and March 2022 floods will be eligible for one of the following measures:    

    • Home Buy-back - a payment for the purchase of their house and land 

    • Home Raising - up to $100,000 towards the cost of elevating their home's liveable areas and any associated retrofitting 

    • Home Retrofit - up to $50,000 towards the cost of retrofit and/or repair works to incorporate flood resilient design and materials in liveable areas. 

    For information, visit Resilient Homes Program.

    Free mail redirection 

    Australia Post offers free mail redirection for up to 12 months to individuals and small businesses affected by natural disasters. For more information, visit Australia Post's website.

    Change your address

    Find out how to change your address with:

        Related information

        Last updated: 13 September 2023