Roads and public transport

Vehicle registrations and licences

If your driver licence was lost, damaged or destroyed during a natural disaster, you can download the Service NSW app to access your NSW Digital Driver Licence.

The digital driver licence is legal for use across NSW at no additional cost.

If you need to replace documents for your vehicle that were lost, damaged or destroyed during a natural disaster, you may be eligible for registration and licensing concessions and refunds.

For more information visit Transport for NSW.

Number plates

To reapply for number plates that have been lost or destroyed as a result of a natural disaster, you must provide a completed Number Plate Form – PDF at a Service NSW Centre. If applicable, number plate reissue, remake or hold fees may be waived.

For more information, visit Transport for NSW.

Potholes and road damage

If you have concerns about road damage or potholes, the best way to report it is to submit your information through this Transport for NSW feedback form.

Transport for NSW will assess the damage and coordinate repair. 


The $40 tag security deposit on an E-Toll tag will be waived if your tag has been lost, damaged or destroyed during a natural disaster.

Vessel registrations, boat and PWC licences

Replacement licences and registration certificates that were lost, damaged or destroyed in a natural disaster will be provided free of charge.

    The replacement will be sent to the address shown on the licence or registration if you request the documents either by:

    If you want the documents sent to a different address, you can either:

    Before a PWC licence can be re-issued, you will need to supply:

      Vessel registration refund

      If your vessel has been destroyed in a natural disaster, you're entitled to a refund of any remaining funds on the vessel registration.

      If you can, supply a copy of the insurance claim deeming the vessel a total loss, or a statutory declaration with details of the circumstances. If you're not able to supply either of these documents, complete the Request for Refund (Maritime) – PDF.

      Note: Attach a photo of the destroyed vessel (if possible). In the space under 'Other Maritime Refunds', clearly state that the vessel was destroyed by a natural disaster and include the address where the vessel was destroyed, if it is not your normal address.

      Motor vehicle stamp duty and fines

      If your motor vehicle was written off in a declared natural disaster, you may be able to get a refund on any motor vehicle duty paid on a replacement vehicle.

      Revenue NSW may also:

      • give you more time to lodge any documents or returns
      • defer enforcing any fines against you
      • extend your payment deadlines
      • agree not to charge you interest
      • arrange for you to pay any debts in instalments.

      For more information, visit Natural disaster relief – Revenue NSW

      Last updated: 4 May 2023