Text size


The Medical Energy Rebate helps eligible NSW households cover the costs of their energy bills.

The rebate is for NSW customers who have an inability to self-regulate body temperature when exposed to extreme hot or cold environmental temperatures. To be eligible for the rebate, you'll need to have a diagnosis that you're unable to self-regulate your body temperature.

If you live in an on-supplied residential community, retirement village or strata scheme and you meet the eligibility requirements, you can apply for the rebate.

Note: 'On supply' means you receive your energy bill or invoice from the strata manager or community/village operator.


You can apply for the Medical Energy Rebate if you or someone living at the address of the eligible customer:

  • is a NSW resident
  • is an on-supplied customer named on the bill of an energy retailer
  • has an inability to self-regulate body temperature
  • has been assessed by a registered medical practitioner (who is not the applicant) who has been treating them for at least 3 months
  • meets at least one Primary Qualifying Condition and at least one Secondary Qualifying Condition
  • holds one of the following concession cards:
    • Pensioner Concession Card issued by the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) or Services Australia
    • Health Care Card issued by Services Australia, or
    • DVA Gold Card.

If you pay your energy bill directly to an energy retailer, visit Apply for the Medical Energy Rebate (retail customers).

What you need

  • your personal and contact details
  • your pensioner concession, health care or gold card details
  • your medical practitioner to complete and sign the Medical Energy Rebate Medical Declaration – PDF
  • your bank account details for the electronic funds transfer
  • a printed (not hand-written) copy of your latest energy invoice (JPG or PDF file).

How to apply

  1. Download and complete Medical Energy Rebate Application Form On-Supply Household – PDF.
  2. Ask your medical practitioner (GP or specialist) to complete the form.
  3. Attach a copy of your most recent energy bill. 
  4. Lodge your application by post or email to the details on the form.

More information

  • If you've been treated by different doctors from the Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) for at least 3 months, you may still be eligible for the rebate.
  • You'll receive the rebate as a lump sum payment of $313.50 deposited into your bank account.
  • Invoices must be printed or hand-written if:
    • they have been prepared from a branded invoice book (company stamps will not be accepted)
    • the supplier doesn't have the capacity to provide printed invoices.
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card holders are not eligible for this rebate.


Last updated: 3 November 2022
You'll be taken to another website.